Image Map

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Eighteen Dozen Cookies-Part 4

Here I am back with the fourth cookie recipe from my 18-dozen, cookie-baking  day.  Above is a picture of the cookies all packed up and ready to take to the church.  Please know that I am a new digital camera user, photo editor, and photo poster, so don't expect perfection here.
My husband likes ginger snap type cookies.  Since I am a chocolate, butterscotch, vanilla, and any other flavor but ginger snap type of girl, that is what I usually make.  But, every-once-in-awhile, I remember to make some cookies just for my husband.   For this last cookie I made Molasses Cookies and kept out a dozen just for him.  This recipe came from Relish magazine.  The original recipe said to drop the dough, but I found the dough too stiff to drop.  I use a measuring tablespoon to measure out the dough and roll into balls.  The cookies can be formed and baked right away or shaped into a roll, frozen, then sliced and baked.

Molasses Cookies
from Relish Magazine

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1 t. soda
1/2 t. each allspice, nutmeg, cloves, kosher salt
1/2 shortening, melted and cooled
1 large egg
1/4 c. unsulfured molasses
3/4 c. old fashioned oats

Sift together flour, sugar, soda, spices, and salt.   Add shortening, egg and molasses; mix well.  Stir in oats.  Mix well.   Measure out the dough using a level measuring tablespoon and roll into balls.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten with bottom of a glass that has been dipped in sugar.  Bake at 375 degrees 8-10 minutes.  Makes 3 dozen.

To make ahead:  form dough into a roll, wrap in parchment paper and plastic wrap and freeze.  To cook, slice frozen dough into 1/4-thick slices and bake 13 minutes.

Tomorrow I will explain the idea and plan for this blog and start a series:  Do It Yourself Groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...