Image Map

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Big Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have been following Eat at Home’s Ingredient Spotlight for awhile.  Well, last week I forgot about it, and this week the ingredient is tomatoes.  That is not bad, but my favorite ways to eat tomatoes are fresh local ones sliced or in a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich.  A recipe isn’t needed for either of those, so let’s have cookies.

There are many different recipes out there  for chocolate chip cookies.  All good, I’m sure.  The most important difference in this recipe is that it makes lots of cookies.  It is my “go to” recipe whenever a   large batch of cookies is needed.   I generally do not make these without a place to send them.  These are just too tempting, especially when they are still warm.

We are taking two of our grandchildren inner tubing on the Snake and Columbia River today.  Chocolate chip is my grandson’s favorite.  Hence, an excuse to make these.

The recipe makes 12 dozen 2 1/2-inch cookies and calls for only one (12 oz..) package chocolate chips.  A second package of chips can be added for more chips in each cookie, but my family has never complained.  This is a cookie that is crisp around the edges with a softer center.

I have had the recipe for years.  It came from a Christian Woman’s magazine called "Virtue" and was called Great Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I obviously changed the name.

These cookies are most easily made in a stand mixer, but I have made them by hand.


Big Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. shortening
1 c. butter or margarine
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
2 t. vanilla
1 t. water
4 large eggs
4 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 pkg. (12 oz.) chocolate chips
2 c. walnuts, chopped

In the bowl of a stand mixer combine shortening, butter, sugar and brown sugar.  Cream together until well blended.  Add vanilla, water, and eggs.  Beat well.  In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.  Mix together well.  Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, mixing until well blended.  Remove mixer bowl from mixer.  Add chocolate chips and nuts by hand, mixing until well blended.  Drop by teaspoonful onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.  (I use a cookie scoop.)  Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Do not over bake.   Centers should be soft.  Let cookies stand on baking sheet for one minute before removing to a rack to cool.  Makes 12 dozen, 2 1/2-inch cookies.

Linking to Cast Party Wednesday
Foodie Wednesday
Whisking Wednesdays
These Chicks Cooked
Ingredient Spotlight

3 comments:

  1. One of the most fun things about blogging for me is discovering certain types of blogs... one being those written by people from your generation!! How can we "convince" more to blog and share from the vast knowledge you all have from years of experience?! :) Thank you for taking time to share... if you have never heard of SITS (www.thesitsgirls.com), I'd recommend that you check it out. It has been a wonderful way for me to discover new blogs, connect with other bloggers online and to learn more about blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...I so love chocolate chip cookies. And it's interesting to me how many slight variations there can be to a single recipe. Yet somehow? It's always delicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for stopping by Cast Party Wednesday last week. I really appreciate you sharing your recipe with us. I hope you will join us again for another awesome party filled with yummy recipes.
    Thanks Again!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...