Image Map

Monday, July 4, 2011

DIY Groceries-Barbecue Rubs and Sauces 3

Happy Monday and welcome to my newest followers.  I hope you enjoy your time here at Grandma Loy’s Kitchen.

Here is another quick and easy barbecue sauce that is inexpensive to make.  It uses a can of tomato sauce as a base.  Today I will be using it in an Oven Barbecued Chicken recipe, but it can be used to baste other meats whether in the oven or on a grill.  I always reserve some to pass at the table.  There is a range for the chili powder.  I use 3 t., and it is plenty spicy for me, but I am a weakling when it comes to very spicy food.

There is not a barbecue rub in the usual sense today, but there is a mixture of celery seed, garlic and onion powder, and salt sprinkled and rubbed on the chicken.  I use bone-in, skin on chicken thighs, but chicken breasts or a cut-up whole chicken can be used, about 3 to 3 1/2 lbs.

This recipe came from the internet several years ago, but I do not know the source.  I have adapted it to suit our tastes.

Oven-Barbecued Chicken
3-3 1/2 lbs. cut-up chicken, breasts, or thighs
2 t. celery salt
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. salt

Combine celery seed, garlic and onion powder, and salt in a small bowl.   If using cut-up chicken rub on skin surfaces.  If using bone-in, skin-on thighs as I do.  Lift skin and sprinkle mixture on chicken meat, replace skin; turn thighs over and sprinkle remaining mixture on bone side of thighs.  Line a 9x13 or larger baking pan with foil.  Place chicken, bone side down, in the pan.  Bake at 375 degrees 30 minutes.   Remove from oven.  At this point, I pour off any accumulated fat and remove the skin from the chicken thighs.  (Leaving the skin on during the first part of cooking keeps the chicken meat from drying out.)  Spoon some of the barbecue sauce evenly over the chicken, coating completely.  Bake 30 minutes longer or until chicken is tender, basting with additional sauce every 10 minutes.  Heat remaining sauce to pass at the table.  Makes 4 servings.

Teresa’s Homemade Barbecue Sauce
1 T. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/4 c. white vinegar
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2-4 t. chili powder
1 t. salt
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed

Heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan.  Add onions and sauté until tender.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer 5-10 minutes.  Frugal Tip:  Use the measured out vinegar to rinse out the tomato sauce can to get it all. Makes about 1 1/3 c.  Keeps for a week or two.

Linking up to Melt in Your Mouth Monday and Tuesday Time-Out Link-Up Party

3 comments:

  1. Real food THANKS! My kids are going to love this. I'm staying away from 'High Fructose Corn Syrup'.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That barbeque sounds like a meal my family would really enjoy. Happy 4th!
    Katie
    PS- I host a recipe swap on Wednesdays and I'd love for you to come and show off your delicious looking fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks so good. I would love it if you came over to my party "Cast Party Wednesday" tomorrow and shared some of your recipes with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...