Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday Frugal Tips-Freezing Buttermilk

On Tuesday, I posted a brownie recipe that took only 1/2 cup buttermilk.  I know about the milk and lemon juice/vinegar substitute, and I keep Saco dry buttermilk on hand at all times.  However, I prefer to use real liquid buttermilk when I can.  The problem with liquid buttermilk comes with what to do with any excess.  I sometimes, also, find buttermilk at a really good price as in the photo below.  To keep buttermilk for the long term, I freeze it.

Since a half cup of buttermilk is the smallest unit of measurement I use, I freeze multiples of half cups.  I pour the buttermilk into snack size zip top bags and remove as much air as I can.  I then put the bags of buttermilk into a quart size, zip-top freezer bag, write on the bag how many snack bags of buttermilk it contains, date and freeze.  This way I can take out as many bags of buttermilk as a recipe calls for.  These thaw easily under running water, or cut the bags open and put in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments at 50% power until thawed.

Linking to Frugal Friday Link Party

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU!!!!!! I have wondered about this before but was not sure about trying it. Your awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea! I am doing this!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...