Image Map

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Raspberry/Brownie Layered Dessert

Note:  If you are a follower and got this in a reader, the amount of water is wrong.  Should be 2 c.  I have corrected the recipe.

Saturday was an alligator day around here.  When you are up to your armpits in alligators, it is hard to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp.  By the end of the day, I knew that I needed chocolate.

Problem was, I had fresh raspberries I needed to do something with.  After some thought, I decided that brownies and raspberries would be a good paring.  I sort of have a reputation for doing different things with layered desserts so I adapted parts of various recipes and came up with this:  a thin layer of brownies, a cream cheese layer, and a raspberry fluff or mousse type layer topped with dollops of whipped topping.  I couldn't come up with a very inventive name, any ideas?  The raspberry layer is an adaptation of Six Sisters Stuff Raspberry Fluff Salad recipe.

I recently was able to purchase some Pillsbury Brownie Mixes for $ .50 each so I used half of one of those to make the brownie layer.  A homemade recipe for brownies for a 8 or 9-inch square pan baked in a 9x13-inch pan would work also.  For a thicker layer of brownies, use a regular recipe for a 9x13-inch pan.

Whipped cream may be used instead of the whipped topping if desired.  Measure after the cream has been whipped.  A pint of whipping cream will be plenty.  A 12-oz. container of whipped topping will make the dessert and dollops for topping.

I have to say how much I love Reynolds Nonstick Foil.  I have been using it underneath the raspberries that I have frozen individually.  I just line a baking sheet with the foil, wash the raspberries, and scatter them out over the foil.  Place in freezer until the raspberries are frozen.  Remove the raspberries to a freezer bag.  Not one raspberry has stuck to the foil.  I have used the same sheet over and over, still no sticking.  I lined my baking pan for this dessert, and it came right off.  I still use the regular foil, too.  But the nonstick is great is certain uses.

Raspberry and Brownie Layered Dessert
1 pkg brownie mix, divided in half
half of additional ingredients called for to make the brownies
1/2 c. chopped pecans, toasted
1 large pkg. cook and serve vanilla pudding (may use sugar free)
1 large pkg. raspberry gelatin (may use sugar free)
2 c. water.
1 T. lemon juice
6 oz. fresh or individually frozen raspberries (about 1 c.)
1 c. whipped topping or whipped cream
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese (may be 1/3 fat or fat free)
1 c. powdered sugar (I sift this)
1 c. whipped topping or whipped cream.

Measure brownie mix and divide in half (will be about 2 c.)  Prepare mix with half of each of the ingredients called for on the package.  Add pecans and mix well.  Pour into 9x13-inch baking dish lined with nonstick foil.  Bake at oven temperature called for on package about 12 to 15 minutes or until done.  Let cool 15 minutes.  Place in refrigerator to continue cooling.
Combine vanilla pudding, raspberry gelatin, water, and lemon juice.  Blend together well.  Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture boils.  Remove from heat and pour into a bowl.  Place in refrigerator until thickened. (about 1 hour)
Meanwhile mix together softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and whipped topping.  Spread over cooled brownie layer.
Add whipped topping to gelatin blending very well.  Carefully stir in raspberries.  Spread over cream cheese layer.  Chill until ready to serve, at least 2 to 3 hours.  Cut into squares and serve with dollops of whipped topping.  Store, covered, in refrigerator.  Makes 12 servings.

Linking to:  Melt in Your Mouth Monday,   Newbie Party, Summer Cookout Food, Sharing Monday,
Making a Food-"e"  Friend Monday,
Sweet Treats Thursday

10 comments:

  1. That looks so good. My two favorites, raspberries and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at Raspberry...love anything with them, I used to work at the berry farms as a kid and sure didn't make any money while those were in season! I am going to try it..coming here from Debs party, nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don't do the cooking around here, but I do enjoy eating and this looks like the perfect combo of flavors.

    I just got into trouble for using the Reynold's non-stick aluminum foil for a project instead of the regular Reynold's Wrap. Oy.

    I'm your newest follower (#23). Found you via Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, it looks delicious! I would love for you to link up Thursday to "It's a Party"!
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmmm, looks delish! I stopped by from Debbiedoo's and so glad I did.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, WOW! This sounds soooo good and is one I most definitely want to try! Thank you so much for linking it at MaFF Monday. So glad to have you there for the first time this week and hope you come back again next week (would love to feature you in the future as a MaFF FFF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Looks delicious! I love brownies, and what a good idea to pair them with fruit! Thanks for sharing.

    I'm hosting my monthly Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays party, and would love for you to link up anything you made/did/bought Before Blogging. Can't wait to see what you bring to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!! Thanks for linking up today!!

    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com
    {Sweet Treats Thursday}

    ReplyDelete
  9. These turned out beautiful! i love the combination of raspberry and chocolate :)

    Thank you so much for submitting this to my monthly recipe collection for July - Cookout Food.

    The new theme for August will be posted tomorrow, and I hope you will submit again. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...