Image Map

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Spicy Sausage Cheese Balls

IMG_0296-1

Well, I said that I was a pansy when it came to spicy recipes, and then I post two in a row that are spicy.  But both are just a little spicy, not a lot.  I had a pound of sausage to use up last weekend so did a variation on the sausage/cheese/biscuit mix combination.  This makes about 75 one-inch balls so is great for a party.  They can be baked, frozen, and reheated if desired.  I like to use the sausage in a tube to make this.  It doesn’t seem to be as greasy as bulk sausage.  Jimmy Dean’s is very good, but there may be a regional brand that is good, too.  I used about 3/4 t. dried red pepper flakes, and they were plenty spicy for me.  Remove the sausage and the cheese from the fridge about 30 minutes before making.

Spicy Sausage Cheese Balls
1 lb. sausage
2 c. sharp Cheddar cheese
2 c. biscuit mix, purchased or make your own
1/3 c. finely chopped red onion
1/3 c. finely chopped red pepper
1/3 c. finely chopped celery
1/2 t. cumin
1/2-1 t. red pepper flakes
1/4 c. water, if needed

Place sausage, cheese, biscuit mix, onion, red pepper, celery, cumin and red pepper flakes in a large mixing bowl.  Mix together well with you hands.  Add the 1/4 c. water if necessary to get the mixture to hold together.  Form mixture into 1-inch balls and place on two greased jelly-roll pans or cookie sheets.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.  Makes 75.

2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious Loy. I've seen some sausage ball recipes before but they didn't include the red onions, red peppers and celery. I like your additions, I bet they taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these look awesome and they made my five to try post for the week! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...