Image Map

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cooking with the Journal-Applesauce Fudgies

IMG_0896-1

Last Friday I decided to make crockpot apple butter with some diced apples that were taking up a lot of room in my freezer.  I made applesauce in the crockpot to make into the apple butter.  I had a little more applesauce than was needed to make the apple butter so decided to bake some Applesauce Fudgies.

These are chocolaty, moist, and thick cake-like brownies that apparently were a favorite of Farm Journal.  The recipe was printed in at least three of their cookbooks.

I usually double the recipe and use cocoa instead of unsweetened chocolate as I always have cocoa on hand.  Nuts get a chance to shine as they are sprinkled on the top.  They may be omitted, however, for nut allergies or dislikes.

If the weather is hot, I suggest that these be kept in the refrigerator because they are so moist.

Applesauce Fudgies

Farm Journal’s Country Cookbook, 1959, 1971
Cooking for Company, 1968
Homemade Cookies, 1971

2 sqs. unsweetened chocolate
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. applesauce
1 c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. chopped nuts (I use toasted walnuts)

Melt chocolate and butter together.  This can be done in a saucepan on the stove or in a glass container in the microwave.  Mix applesauce, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.  Mix dry ingredients together and mix into applesauce mixture.  Stir until well blended.  Add chocolate mixture and blend well.  Pour into a greased 9x9x2-inch baking pan.  Sprinkle nuts over the top.  Carefully press nuts lightly into the surface of the batter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.  Do not over bake.  Cool in pan on rack.  Cut into 16 squares.

Linking to Tasty Tuesday

2 comments:

  1. Oh my... I"m going to have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked these but mine came out more like cake than a dense brownie.
    I divided the batter between a 12 count cupcake paper lined muffin tray.
    They puffed way up.
    I topped them with the cooked frosting for Farm Journals candy-top brownies which I believe is like a ganache.
    I'll probably stick with regular brownies. Interesting though.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...