Image Map

Monday, August 8, 2011

DIY Groceries-Chicken Seasoning Mix & Clean the Pantry Chicken

Good Monday Morning.  Welcome to my new followers and thanks to you all for reading my blog.  I hope that you find some useful information here.

This is a seasoning mix I like to keep on hand to use when I make oven-fried chicken.  It is easy to put together and keeps 6 months when tightly covered.  It makes 1/2 c. mix which is 8 batches of chicken so I use mine up long before 6 months.

Chicken Seasoning Mix
2 T. Parsley Flakes
1 T. Ground Marjoram
2 t. Ground Rosemary
1 t. Onion Powder
1 T. Ground Ginger
1 t. Ground Sage
1 T.  ground Oregano
1 T.Ground Thyme
1 t. Garlic Powder
2 t. Celery Salt
1 t. Pepper
1 T. Paprika  (smoked if you have it)

Combine all ingredients in a blender or mini food processor. Blend briefly to chop parsley and thyme. Spoon mixture into a small airtight container and label as Chicken Seasoning Mix.  Store in a cool dry place and use within 6 months.   Makes about 1/2 cup.

IMG_0709-1

We have friends who have a home on Moses Lake who have us come up with the grandkids and take them tubing every year.  We did that this last weekend.  I always make chicken and potato salad to have for lunches so people can just eat whenever they want.  Usually, I do thighs and legs as they are easy to grab and eat.

When I was checking to see what I had for coating the chicken, I found some bread crumbs, panko, potato flakes, and Rice Krispies.  I had a little of each so In keeping with my informal pantry clean-up challenge, I just used them all.  Hence-Clean the Pantry Chicken.

I used skinless thighs and legs, but a whole, cut-up chicken can be used or even chicken breasts.  I would probably adjust the heat of the oven and the time for chicken breasts.

Clean the Pantry Chicken

7 or 8 pieces of chicken or 10 to 12 legs
1/3 c. dry bread crumbs
1/3 c. panko crumbs
1/3 c. instant mashed potato flakes
1 1/2 c. Rice Krispies crushed to 3/4 c.
1 T. Chicken Seasoning Mix
2 eggs
2 T. milk
1/2 to 1 t. hot sauce
1/3-1/2 c. butter, melted or vegetable oil

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine bread crumbs, panko crumbs, potato flakes and Rice Krispies in a large pie pan.  Combine eggs, milk and hot sauce in another pie pan or bowl.  Place butter in a foil-lined (preferably non-stick) jelly roll pan.  Place in oven to melt.  Dip chicken in egg.  Remove letting excess egg drip off.  Place chicken piece in crumb mixture pressing down to coat.  Turn over and coat opposite side.  Place on waxed paper.  Repeat with all chicken pieces.  When butter has melted, place all chicken pieces in jelly roll pan.  Bake 20 minutes, turn chicken over with tongs, bake 20 minutes longer or until chicken is done.  Serve hot or remove to rack to cool if serving cold.  Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Linking to:
Hunk of Meat Monday
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Recipe Sharing Monday 
Newbie Party

5 comments:

  1. WOW, does that chicken look delicious or what???!! I want to reach in and grab it! Your lunch of this chicken and potato salad sounds so good, wish I were there. ;)
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT recipe! I would love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and shared this and other recipes with us! :)
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this at Recipe Sharing Monday. I hope to see you back tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I had seen this one yesterday. I submitted my food column yesterday and it was about cleaning out the pantry and fridge. I shared an idea for making soup with leftovers from the fridge, and wish I had thought of using up your cereal in this way. Brilliant! Thanks so much -

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...