Image Map

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Frozen Tropical Salad

When it is sweltering outside what could be better than to have a nice frozen fruity salad in your freezer.  How about bananas, pineapple, pecans, maraschino cherries and sugar held together with some sour cream or Greek yogurt.

I sometimes add 1/3 to 1/2 c. toasted coconut to this and use chopped macadamia nuts instead of the pecans.  The original recipe called for sour cream, and I used low fat.  Now, however,  I usually use Greek yogurt.  I also sometimes use Splenda instead of sugar if the diabetics in the family will be eating this.  The maraschino cherries are included mostly for color.  If there are objections to eating them, use 1/4 c. halved raspberries.

Most of the time I spoon this into paper-lined muffing tins.  After they are frozen, I remove the salads and put them in a freezer bag for further storage.  I have used the silicone muffing liners with success also.

Now I must confess, this not a salad. It is a dessert masquerading as a salad. But who am I to hurt its feelings. So I just plop it on a lettuce leaf, and let it call itself a salad.

Frozen Tropical Salad

3 medium bananas
2 c. sour cream or Greek yogurt
1 can (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, undrained.
1/2 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
2 T. maraschino cherries
1/2 to 3/4 c. sugar, according to your taste

Peel bananas and place in a medium sized bowl.  Mash the bananas well.  Add remaining ingredients and blend well.  Turn into an oiled 6-cup mold and freeze several hours or overnight.  Unmold salad onto a platter lined with lettuce leaves and let stand 15 minutes before serving.   Serves 10-12.  Or spoon into paper-lined muffin tins and freeze several hours or overnight.  Remove paper liners before serving.  Makes about 18 salad cups.

Linking to:
It's a Keeper Thursday
Full Plate Thursday
Recipe Swap Thursday

5 comments:

  1. Sounds so cool and refreshing ~ and that's what is needed around here. I love the single serve size too. Thanks so much for sharing!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! So cool and refreshing! This would be perfect for entertaining. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Loy,
    I can't get my computer working right today, could it be the operator,lol? Your Frozen Tropical Salad looks so delicious. It is just perfect for this time of the year. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...