Image Map

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ingredient Spotlight-Pickled Beets

I wasn’t sure that I would post this recipe.  Pickled Beets seem to be one of those things that people either love or hate.  There is not much in between with them.  However, vinegar came up on Ingredient Spotlight over at Eat at Home, and Pickled Beets were a specialty of my father who made them every year.

My father was my garden fairy.  He loved to garden and freely shared his bounty with the family, friends, and neighbors.  I would get mine: picked, washed, and processed (canned or frozen).  Obviously, I was one spoiled daughter.  My dad died in 1996.  I miss him a lot and am posting this recipe in memory of him.

After Dad died, the recipe he used went missing for several years.  I tried other pickled beet recipes, but they just were not the same.  When my mother had to go into Assisted Living, and we cleaned out her house, the recipe turned up again.   Needless to say, I was thrilled.  It is in a very old Kerr canning booklet.

My daughter still cans fresh beets and uses the original recipe.  I don’t actually can anymore so I  have adapted the recipe to use commercially canned whole beets.   I try to keep the Pickled Beets on hand all the time.  I serve them to my husband and call them a vegetable when I fix a veggie for dinner that he doesn't eat.  This is another strange thing about his likes and dislikes.  He loves Pickled Beets but won't eat beets prepared any other way.  Oh well, I have my strange tastes, too.

Quick Pickled Beets

3 cans (16 oz.) whole baby beets
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. vinegar
1/4 t. cloves
1/4 t. allspice
3/4 t. cinnamon

Drain beets, reserving 1/2 c. beet liquid.  Set beets aside.  Combine beet liquid, sugar, vinegar and spices in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil and simmer until sugar is dissolved.  Add beets to liquid, bring to a boil and boil 10 minutes.  Cool and place in a non-metal, covered container.  Chill 24 to 48 hours before serving.  We prefer to eat these cold.
When beets are about 1/3 gone, beets can be drained, the liquid brought to a boil and 1 more can of drained beets can be added, brought to a boil and boiled 10 min. as above.  Combine this with the previously cooked beets.
Note: since ground spices are used, there will be sediment in the liquid that will settle to the bottom of the container.

Linking to Ingredient Spotlight

2 comments:

  1. I love beets, but thought I didn't like pickled beets until I re-tried them as an adult. Surprise, I really enjoyed them and I'm sure homemade would be alot better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE pickled beets! Thanks so much for sharing this. My mother and aunts use to can them but I never learned their secrets.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...