Image Map

Thursday, October 13, 2011

12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies-Oatmeal Crisp Brownies

Like Alice in Wonderland, I am Late, I am Late.  The cookies I made yesterday turned out to be edible but not presentable.  So on to plan B.

What is better than a brownie?  Perhaps a brownie encased in a oatmeal crisp crust.  This recipe has a oatmeal base, a brownie layer, and a topping of oatmeal crisp.

The original recipe came from another of those little supermarket cookbooks, "110 Cookie Recipes" by Betty Crocker, 1987.   They were just called Oatmeal Brownies, but I think my name is more descriptive of what they are.

Instead of using the included recipe for the brownie layer, I use my favorite brownie recipe Indian Bars.  The Indian Bars use butter (which I prefer in baking) and call for less chocolate.  I am sure that any brownie recipe with similar ingredients could be used.  I have also included the original brownie recipe.

Since I like nuts in brownies, I use toasted walnuts, almonds, or pecans in these, but the nuts are optional and can be left out.  I used old-fashioned oats in the brownies in the photo.

Oatmeal Crisp Brownies
2 1/2 c. quick cooking or old-fashioned oats
3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 t. baking soda
3/4 c. melted butter or margarine

Mix oats, flour, brown sugar, and baking soda in a mixing bowl.  Combine well.  Stir in melted butter and mix well.  Reserve 1 cup of mixture.  Press remaining mixture in greased 13-inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees 10 minutes.  Coo1 5 minutes.

Brownies
4 sq. (1 oz. ea.) unsweetened chocolate
2/3 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 1/4 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 to 1 c. chopped toasted nuts (opt.)

Melt chocolate and shortening together.  Stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Add to sugar/egg mixture, blending well.  Add nuts, if using.  Spread mixture over baked oatmeal crust.  Sprinkle top evenly with reserved oatmeal mixture.  Pat oatmeal gently into top of brownie batter with the palm of your hand.  Bake at 350 degrees until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan, about 30 minutes.  (Do not overbake.)  Cool.  Cut into about 1 1/2-inch squares.  Makes 4 dozen.  Note:  If using the Indian Bar recipe, the brownies will need to bake 35 to 40 minutes.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my, they look great-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate and oats are always a great combination to me. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These bars look fantastic. I've never seen any like these before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Loy, I have never had oatmeal and brownies combined - I'm so inspired! I am imagining the texture of the two is a great combination! Your photo makes me want to take a bite right through the screen :)
    Hope you have a great weekend. -Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...