Image Map

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Cooking from the Blogs-What I Made

Last week, I didn't have a chance to make any recipes from blogs so there was no post on Sunday.  This week I made it a point to make a couple of new recipes.

This week there is a sale on chicken thighs and split breasts for $ .99 lb.  I decided this was a good time to use up some of the cooked chicken and broth I have in my freezer.  I freeze cooked chicken in 1 cup amounts with 1 cup broth to use in casseroles and soup.  You might want to take a look at my tutorial on cutting up a chicken breast here.

 I made Chicken and Dumpling Bake Casserole from Deep South Dish via Aunt Nubby's Kitchen.  To please my potato-loving husband,  I diced up a couple of potatoes along with onion and red pepper.  I cooked them in the chicken broth for about 10 minutes, then added a cup of frozen peas and carrots and cooked another 5 minutes.  I added a bay leaf and some poultry seasoning to this.  I drained the vegetables and layered them on top of the chicken, and then used the broth as directed in the recipe.  This was very good and does taste just like chicken and dumplings.  I think my husband had three servings.  The leftovers were even good warmed up.  I will be making this again.

I also made Cheesy Garlic Bread Pull Apart from The Real Housewives of Riverton.  These are made with refrigerated biscuits and are very quick and easy.  Since there are just two of us I halved the recipe and baked them in a pie tin with a custard cup in the center so they would form a ring.  We really love garlic, so next time I will increase the butter to 3 tablespoons and the garlic powder and parsley to 1 1/2 teaspoons and brush the flattened biscuits with the mixture before I form them around the cheese.  I also will use more cheese, but I think that I didn't use as much cheese as called for.  There were perfect with the goulash that I served for lunch.  I plan to keep refrigerated biscuits on hand to make this often.

Check all of these blogs out for other great recipes.

3 comments:

  1. Loy, So glad you enjoyed the Chicken and Dumplings Bake! We liked it too and it was an easy recipe. I enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Chicken and Dumplings Bake looks delish, I bookmarked it to try myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for finally writing about >"Cooking from the Blogs-What I Made" <Liked it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...