Image Map

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Southwestern Chicken Corn Chowder


The other day I could not decide what to make for lunch.  In my continuing effort to clear my panty of some older food, I decided to check out some recipes I had stored on my computer.  This recipe caught my eye as it is a “pantry shelf” recipe, and I had all the ingredients to make it.

I wasn’t sure how well I would like it as I am not a fan of chilies.  Turns out I loved it and will be making it again.

This is one of those recipes that, if you can open a can, you can “cook”.  So simple and easy to do.  I have added the chopped red pepper for color and nutrition, but it can be left out. This is a good time to use any red pepper that might be on hand in the freezer if there is not a fresh one available.

The recipe calls for evaporated milk, and I had half a large can I needed to use up.  Regular milk can be used instead.  The soup just may not be quite as creamy.  I also grabbed a can of condensed cheese soup instead of the cream of chicken one called for.  I was out of my homemade soup mix.

I always have 1 cup bags of chicken in my freezer frozen with 1 cup homemade broth.  I just use the whole bag and adjust the liquid elsewhere in the recipe.  More or less liquid usually doesn't matter with soup.

The recipe is supposed to have come from a Desperation Dinners newspaper column, but I got it off the internet somewhere.

Southwest Chicken Corn Chowder
1 t. olive oil
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped red pepper
1 clove, garlic minced
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can fat-free chicken broth
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup (or cheddar cheese soup)
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies, drained
1 (10 oz.) can chicken or 2 c. diced, cooked chicken
1 (16 oz.) can cream-style corn
1 (16 oz.) can whole kernel corn, undrained
1/2 t. or more chili powder (I used 1 t.)
1/2 t. ground cumin
1 (5 oz.) can fat-free evaporated milk or 2/3 c. (regular milk can be used)

Heat olive oil in a 4 1/2 qt. pot over medium heat.  Add onion and red pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes, watching closely and stirring often.  Stir in garlic and cook an additional minute or so.  Stir in chicken broth, saving a little to rinse out soup can.  Add soup, rinse out can with reserved chicken broth and add.  Stir with a whisk to blend well.  Bring soup to a boil.  Add well-drained chilies.  Reduce heat to low.  Add chicken, corn, chili powder, and cumin.  Stir to mix well.  Heat 10 min.  Remove from heat and stir in milk.  Serve at once.  Makes 6 to 8 servings.

If serving small children, leave out chilies, chili powder and cumin.  Add 1/2 c. shredded cheese to soup.

Linking to:  Hunk of Meat Monday

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE chilies and anything else spicy! :-) This is a great combo of ingredients and just in time for my soup making days. I just love a good, nutritious soup when the weather is cooler. Now it's still a bit warm here but I'm dreaming!

    Thanks so much for sharing ~
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I like the southwest twist on an old favorite.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...