Image Map

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Cooking with the Journal-Cereal Muffins

IMG_0038-1

IMG_1596-1

Life happened yesterday.  My mother, who is 92 and suffering from congestive heart failure, collapsed and had to be admitted to the hospital with too much fluid on her lungs.  She is doing OK, and we realize how fortunate we are to still have her.  Blogging definitely comes after life and family, so posts may be a little erratic for awhile.  

I do want to say "Welcome" to my new followers; and, as always, thank all of you who take time out of your busy lives to read my posts.  I am most humbled.

I did make muffins the other night so had this ready to post today.  This recipe comes from perhaps the thinnest of the Farm Journal Cookbooks, “Homemade Bread”, 1969.   It can be made with several kinds of cereal including whole bran, corn flakes, and Cheerios.  I am sure that other “flaked” cereals could be used by using the same amount as the corn flakes.  This is a nice use for that last couple of cups or so of cereal that no one has eaten.
 
The recipe includes variations for blueberry, apple, pineapple, bacon, and cranberry (a nice use of leftover cranberry sauce).  Since I have a lot of apples on hand (we are in the middle of apple picking season here), I made the apple variation.  My hubby likes his muffins with butter and jam, but I liked them just fine plain.

Cereal Muffins
Homemade Breads
Farm Journal Books, 1969
1 1/4 c. milk
1 1/2 c. whole-bran cereal, or 2 c. Cheerios, or 3 c. corn flakes
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1 T. baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Combine milk and cereal in a large bowl.  In another bowl mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.  Add beaten egg and vegetable oil to milk and cereal and mix well; add dry ingredients.  Mix only until dry ingredients are moistened (batter will be lumpy).  Fill greased muffin cups almost full.  Bake in 400 degree oven 20 to 25 minutes.  Makes 12 medium-size muffins.

Variations:  Add any of these to batter before adding dry ingredients.
Blueberry:  Add 1 c. fresh or unthawed frozen blueberries or 1 c. well-drained canned blueberries.
Apple:  Peel and finely dice 1 medium apple (3/4-1 c.).  Toss with 2 T. sugar and 1/2 to. cinnamon.
Pineapple:  Add 3/4 c. well-drained crushed pineapple.
Bacon:  Add 4 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled.
Cranberry:  Add 1 c. whole berry cranberry sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, glad she
    feeling better. Thank you for sharing the muffin recipe, love the variations, can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised you made it here today Loy! I'm terribly sorry to hear about your mama's struggles. =( That's tough. These muffins look wonderful. I LOOOOVE muffins - and really love them with cereal in them. Take good care and take a break when you need to, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...