Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Festive Cranberry-Pineapple Salad

I posted this recipe back in May at the very beginning of my blog so think that most people have not seen it.  Since this salad is so good at Thanksgiving, I felt that it was worth posting again.  I still have not taken a picture of the finished salad (note to self-remember to do that before anyone digs in).  I did take a new picture of the ingredients which is definitely better than the original one. I did update the old post with this new picture if anyone ever goes back that far.  This a a very good, easy, make-ahead dish.

Update:  Did finally get a photo of the finished dish taken.

When Tiffany at Eat at Home interviewed me, one of the questions was about my favorite meal.  This is the cranberry salad that I listed.  This salad has pretty much replaced regular cranberry sauce at our Thanksgiving dinners.  I do make it throughout the year, though.  The recipe was in a magazine ad for Jell-O back when Bill Cosby was Jell-O's spokesperson.  I have never done the molded version, but am including the instructions for it.

Festive Cranberry-Pineapple Salad
1 can (20 oz.) Crushed Pineapple, undrained
2 pkgs. (4-serving size each) or 1 pkg. (8-serving size) red gelatin, I use sugar-free
1 can (16 oz.) whole berry cranberry sauce
1 medium  apple, chopped
2/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts

DRAIN pineapple, reserving liquid in 1-qt. liquid measuring cup.  Add enough cold water to reserved liquid to measure 3 cups; pour into large saucepan. Bring to boil; remove from heat. Add gelatin; stir at least 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add cranberry sauce; stir until well blended. (Note: Due to the presence of whole berries in the cranberry sauce, the gelatin mixture will not be smooth.) Pour into large bowl. Refrigerate 1-1/2 hours or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites.)  Add pineapple, apple and walnuts; stir gently until well blended. Pour into medium serving bowl.  Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.  Store any leftover salad in refrigerator.  Makes 14 servings (1/2 c. each)

If you don't want the salad to take as long to set up as the instructions above take, you can freeze the cranberry sauce overnight.  I take it out of the can and put it in a heavy-duty plastic bag, seal it well, flatten the bag, and freeze.  Add the cranberry sauce to the warm pineapple/water mixture, breaking it up well.  This helps the Jell-O to set up faster.

You can also just go ahead and stir pineapple, apple, and walnuts into the pineapple juice/cranberry mixture right away.  This will cause the apple and the nuts to float at the top of the Jell-O.  If I am in a real hurry, I don't have a problem with that.

Variation - Molded Cranberry-Pineapple Salad
To serve as a molded salad, substitute a 6-cup mold for the serving bowl. Also, use 1 can (8-1/4 oz.)  crushed pineapple, 1/3 cup chopped walnuts and add enough cold water to the reserved pineapple liquid to measure 2 cups. Makes 10 servings, 1/2 cup each

Linking to:  Tuesday Talent Show
Totally Tasty Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday
Show Me What You Got
Take a Look Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods
Tuesday Time Out
Tip Me Tuesday
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Recipe Roundup at Mandy's Recipe Box


  1. Sounds delicious. I'll have to try it. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
    Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.

    P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

  2. My grandmother's recipe is very similar to this one--absolutely delicious!


I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...