Image Map

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ingredient Spotlight-Parmesan Walnut Bread

When I learned that “Stinky Cheese” would be the ingredient spotlighted this week I knew immediately what I would make.  Parmesan cheese may not be the most stinky cheese, but Tiffany included it.  This is a recipe for a very good, very easy quick bread that I clipped from our local newspaper many years ago.

The original recipe called for grated Parmesan and did not indicate whether to use fresh or dry.  I have always made this with shredded Parmesan.  This doesn’t have a very cheesy flavor.  It is more of a “what is that underlying thing I taste" flavor.  Regardless, I think this bread a lot but don't make it often as it can be very addictive.  It probably would have a "more cheesy" flavor if the grated Parmesan was used.

Although the recipe says that it will make one 9x5-inch loaf pan, I have always made this in four 5x3-inch mini loaf pans.  I think this would easily make two 8x4-inch loaves.
I have included mini loaves of this bread with mini loaves of other flavors in Christmas gifts.  They have always been well received.

Other nuts could be substituted for the walnuts.  No matter which nuts I use, I always toast them.

Note:  the dark ring around the top of the pictured loaf  is because I sprayed the little loaf pans very heavily with nonstick spray.   The bread must be stored overnight before slicing.  The slices will crumble if cut too soon.

IMG_1728-1

Parmesan Walnut Bread
3 c. flour
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese (I use 3/4 c. shredded Parmesan)
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 3/4 c. milk
1 egg
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1/2 to 3/4 c. coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
1/4 c. finely chopped toasted walnuts

Place flour, sugar, Parmesan, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Combine well.  Measure milk in a 2-cup glass measuring cup.  Add egg and beat well.  Add vegetable oil to egg mixture.  Pour milk/egg mixture into dry ingredients.  Mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened.  Stir in the coarsely chopped walnuts.  Turn into greased loaf pan or pans of choice.  one 9x5-inch, two 8x4-inch, or four 5x3-inch.  Sprinkle the finely chopped nuts over the top.  Bake at 350 degrees 35 minutes to 1 hour.  Cool in pan 10 minutes.  Remove from pan.  Cool completely on wire rack.  Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store overnight before slicing.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of this bread. Parmesan and walnuts are a great combo!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...