Image Map

Monday, November 21, 2011

Not That Green Bean Casserole

Mom has been laid to rest with beautiful flowers, wonderful music, and a memorial that truly represented her life here on earth.  Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers during the last week.  I am now back and hope that some of the recipes I post will be enjoyed by others.

Monday is the day that I welcome any new followers and thank those who read my blog.  So welcome and thank you all for taking time in your busy schedules to stop by.  I hope that the information provided here will be useful.

I have many recipes that I want to make and share during this holiday season that do not fit into the themed posting days I had set up, so I am putting them on hiatus until the first of the year.

Here is a recipe using green beans that can also be made with an equivalent amount of other cooked veggies such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, mixed vegetables, carrots, peas, etc.


clip_image001

Practically everyone knows about the famous green bean casserole. You know the one with the green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and French fried onions. Well, I have another offering, and there is not a can of cream soup in sight. If you are not a mushroom fan or just want something a little different, you might give this one a try.

This is a quick, easy, versatile recipe which is easily halved or doubled. It can be made with fresh, frozen, or canned green beans. I usually make this with canned as that is what my husband prefers.  Sometimes I saute some diced red pepper and/or celery in a little butter and add it to the green beans.  I use Worcestershire sauce and garlic pepper in this, but other herbs can be used. It is up to the imagination. I also vary the topping using Panko, dried bread crumbs, different kinds of nuts, cheese, and sometimes even use those French fried onions.

The yield is 6 servings, but if this is part of a dinner like Thanksgiving with many other dishes, this will easily serve 8 or more. There is just my husband and me, so I halve the recipe which is what is in the photo of the casserole below.

The original recipe is from Betty Crocker and appeared in “An Old Fashioned Holiday”, 1990, one of those little cookbooks available at the grocery store.

clip_image002


NOT That Green Bean Casserole
1 lb. fresh green beans, cut up, cooked or 4 c. frozen green beans, cooked, or 2 cans (16 oz. each) cut green beans
1 c. sour cream (can be low fat, do not use fat free)
2 T. flour
1/2 T. Worcestershire Sauce
1 t. garlic/ pepper blend or 1/2 t. garlic powder and 1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
3/4 t. salt (omit if using canned green beans)
1/4 c. milk
1 T. dried minced onion
1/3 c. panko or dry bread crumbs
1/4 c. chopped almonds
2 T. butter or margarine, melted (I don’t always use this)

In a 1 1/2 qt. greased casserole, mix sour cream, flour, Worcestershire Sauce, garlic/pepper, salt, milk and onion. Add drained green beans and mix until well combined. Combine panko or bread crumbs, almonds, and butter or margarine, if using. Sprinkle over the green beans. Bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes until top is lightly browned. Makes 6 servings.

clip_image003


5 comments:

  1. I love the name of this and I love this!!! YUm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a recipe I'll want to save. Great timing, I'll just add it to my plans this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'm going to give this a try using lots of different veggies. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMM - looks wondermous! Welcome back - you've been missed. Hope we can catch up to each other after the holidays...this has been a crazy week for me, but know I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a tasty green bean casserole too! :) Thanks for stopping by and checking out my cheesy green bean casserole.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...