Image Map

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Taco Ole’ Munch

Here it is December 10-No birthday yet so be prepared for more goodie posts.  With all of the sugary sweets that I have made and eaten this week along with the cookies I received in the The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, I think it is about time to share a recipe that is not quite so sweet.

IMG_1851 

I love to have a snack mix around to snack on when we are putting up Christmas decorations or just watching TV.  This one gives you a party in your mouth by combining sweet, salty and spicy with a little heat.  I use a homemade taco seasoning for this recipe so you can reduce the amount of chili powder and reduce or omit the crushed red chili pepper if you don’t like much heat.

The original recipe for this came from the Current Card Company back when they sold little cookbooks.  I don’t know if they do that anymore.

I liked the idea of the adding sugar to contrast with the spices.  I have, however, changed the recipe substantially except for keeping the amount of butter, sugar, and the taco seasoning that was in the original recipe.  I have also made this using other dry mixes such as chili, barbecue, sloppy Joe or spaghetti sauce instead of the taco seasoning mix.

The original recipe was primarily a popcorn snack.  I chose to go with way less popcorn and added a number of other ingredients  to create a snack with more interest to my mouth.  Any combination of popcorn, cereal, and crackers can be used as long as the total is about 16 cups.  This is actually a good way to use up small amounts of cereal and crackers that you may have on hand.

Taco Ole’ Munch
1 bag microwave popcorn, popped (about 8 cups)
2 c. Fritos, broken
2 c. Rice Chex
2 c. Corn Chex
1 c. Cheerios or Kix
1 c. small cheese crackers
1 to 1 1/2 c. salted peanuts or mixed nuts
1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
1/3 c. brown sugar, packed (dark brown, if available)
1 pkg.  taco seasoning mix (or make your own-recipe below)

Combine popcorn, Fritos, cereals, crackers and peanuts or nuts in a very large bowl or Dutch Oven.  Stir to mix well.  Drizzle the melted butter or margarine over the popcorn/cereal mixture, stirring to coat evenly.  In a small bowl combine brown sugar and taco seasoning mix.  Stir well to combine.  Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the popcorn/cereal mixture and stir very well.  Turn the popcorn/cereal mixture into two 10x15-inch baking pans.  Bake at 300 degrees 10 minutes.  Stir mixture and bake 3 to 5 minutes longer.  Let cool in pans.  Store in zip-top plastic storage bags.  Makes 16 cups.

Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix (from The Thrifty Cook, Farm Journal Books, 1974
2 t. instant minced onion
1 t. salt
1/2 to 1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 to 1/2 t. crushed dried red pepper
1/2 t. instant minced garlic
1/4 t. dried oregano leaves

Combine above ingredients in a small bowl.  Store in a zip-top plastic snack-size bag.  Makes 1 pkg.

2 comments:

  1. I have never had this and I'm having trouble imagining it.I will just have to make it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loy - what a GREAT idea! I bet my hubby would love this...I think I'll have to use up some 'leftovers' and make it one day soon. Thanks for sharing. I'm just about sick of all the sweets already myself.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...