Image Map

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cooking with the Journal-Easy Homemade Dip Mixes


This time of year I am usually trying to recuperate from all the food splurges of the holidays.  I am sure many of us are doing that.  This means that I am trying to eat more vegetables, so I eat more celery sticks, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, etc.  I  try to keep these around to snack on to stave off  the hunger pangs.

The problem is, by themselves, I find vegetables are kind of boring.  Using a dip makes vegetables a little more interesting.  Unfortunately, most commercial dips are full of chemicals and fat; not a good combination if you are trying to lose a little weight.

Here are a few homemade dip mixes that can be mixed with low-fat or fat-free sour cream, Greek yogurt, low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese( blended in a blender) or a combination of these.  I also like the combination of half of any of the above and half low-fat mayo.  These all use common pantry shelf or refrigerator ingredients and go together quickly.  Since I am easily bored when it come to food, I usually halve the ingredients and mix with a half cup of the sour cream or whatever so that I can change the dip up every day or so.

The recipes are from Farm Journal’s “The Thrifty Cook”, 1974.

IMG_2031-1

Onion/Cheese Dip Mix
1 T. instant minced onion
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 t. instant beef broth mix
1/4 t. garlic powder

Combine all ingredients.  Mix with 1 c. sour cream, blending well.  Chill at least 30 minutes, but several hours is better.  Makes 1 c.

Curry Dip Mix
1 T. instant minced onion
2 t. curry powder
1/4 t. instant minced garlic
1/4 t. salt

Combine all ingredients.  Mix with 1 c. sour cream, blending well.  Chill at least 30 minutes, but several hours is better.  Makes 1 c.

Bacon Dip Mix
2 T. real bacon bits
1 T. instant minced onion
1 t. instant beef broth mix
1/4 t. instant minced garlic

Combine all ingredients.  Mix with 1 c. sour cream, blending well.  Chill at least 30 minutes, but several hours is better.  Makes 1 c.

Taco Dip Mix
1 T.  instant minced onion
1 1/2 t. instant beef broth mix
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. instant minced garlic

Combine all ingredients.  Mix with 1 c. sour cream and 2 t. ketchup, blending well.  Chill at least 30 minutes, but several hours is better.  Makes 1 c.

If you are doing as I am, try these to help the veggies go down a little easier.

Linking to:  Tuesdays at the Table
Tasty Tuesday
Totally Tasty Tuesday
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
This Weeks Cravings

4 comments:

  1. they sound super yummy love recipes like these come over and see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mixes recipes, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right Loy! I feel the very same way...I am not fond of raw veggies to begin with...I need something to help get them in me. These are great. Thanks much -

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! Gotta have the dip!!! It makes all the difference! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...