Image Map

Monday, January 9, 2012

Greek Roast Beef

Good Monday morning.  Thanks for taking time out of your busy lives to stop and read this blog.  I hope that what you find here is useful to you.

I have mentioned that I only cook evening meals three time a week due to my work schedule, and often cook roasts, casseroles, and other meals that will leave leftovers for my hubby to eat the four nights I am gone.

Saturday I decided to try a Greek inspired roast using a cooking method that was on a recipe card I picked up at a local grocery store.  The recipe was for a sirloin tip roast.  I didn’t look carefully enough at what the roast was that I took from the freezer.  It turned out that it was a rump roast so I used that.  It turned out fine so either a sirloin tip or a rump roast could be used.

A commercial Greek seasoning can be used or you can make your own. One recipe that I have used is here at Food for My Family.  I like that one because it doesn't call for dried mint which I don't always have on hand.  The recipe called for cooking the roast in beef broth and red wine.  This combination plus the Greek seasoning made a very flavorful gravy.  I also cooked some onions and carrots with the roast.

I like to stud my beef roasts generously with garlic.  To do this  I make half inch or so slits with a point of a sharp knife and insert slices of garlic into the slits.  I usually make these about 1 inch apart all over the roast.  This takes two to three cloves of garlic.  This step is optional, but if you like garlic, it adds great flavor to the beef.

I am personally not very fond of beef roast cooked in a slow cooker, but I am sure one could be used for this recipe if desired.

An explanation about the photo.  Our weather has been very overcast, and we often lose daylight as early as three o'clock.  Since we don't eat until around seven, I had to settle for taking a picture of the roast the next day after it was cold.

IMG_2024-1

Greek Roast Beef
1 3-4 lb. sirloin tip or rump roast
2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
olive oil
2 to 3 teaspoons Greek seasoning
small amount of vegetable oil
1 c. beef broth
1/4 c. red wine
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. baby carrots, halved lengthwise

Trim roast of any excess fat.  If desired stud roast with slices of garlic.  Brush olive oil on all surfaces of the meat.  Rub roast with Greek seasonings.  Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a oven-proof Dutch oven.  Brown meat on all sides.  Drain off any excess oil.  Add beef broth and red wine.  Cover and roast at 300 degrees for 1 1/4 hour.  Add onion and carrots and roast another 45 minutes.  I cooked my roast to medium 160 degrees.  Remove roast from cooking liquid.  Cover with foil and keep warm.  Use a slotted spoon to remove carrots and onions to a oven-proof serving dish.  Cover and return to turned-off oven to keep warm.  Remove fat from cooking liquid and measure the amount (I had 3 cups).  Mix about 2 T. flour for each cup of cooking liquid with a small amount of water.  Stir until flour/water mixture is smooth.  Slowly add to the cooking liquid while stirring to mix well.  Continue to stir and bring to a boil.  Stir and boil for a few minutes until gravy is of desired thickness.

Linking to:  Ingredient Spotlight
These Chicks Cooked
Wow Me Wednesday-Polka Dots on Parade
Whatever Goes Wednesday
Wow Me Wednesday-Ginger Snap Crafts
Hunk of Meat Monday

3 comments:

  1. I am like you, I mainly do roasts and casseroles during the week.
    I like the rub for your beef, I might try it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try this. I love beef with red wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest
    but your sites really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come
    back later. Many thanks

    my web site موقع شعله لنقل العفش

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...