Image Map

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ingredient Spotlight-Southwest Bacon and Egg Cups

Since I didn't post on Monday, I would like to take a moment to welcome my new followers and to thank everyone who reads this blog.  I appreciate that you take the time out of your busy lives to do so.  I hope that you find the information you find here useful.

Bacon, Oh how I love bacon.  If I can’t have a sweet, then bacon is the next best thing.  Now the best of both worlds would be Chocolate Covered Bacon.  Well someone has done that, and I will be trying that one day.

For now I am offering a recipe for something a little more conventional.  While leafing through the latest issue of Cooking Light, I ran across a recipe called Mini Bacon and Egg Tarts.  It looked interesting so I decided to make my own take on it.

The recipe made eight tarts, and I wanted to make 12 since that is how many places I have in my muffin pan.  I also wanted to use 12-grain bread instead of the whole wheat white bread that was suggested.  Since my slices of bread were large, I cut them in half.  Because of this, some of the egg spilled out over the edges of the cups.  Next time I will  cut the bread slices so they are square.  The crusts are cut off the bread anyway so a little extra bread cut off is OK.  That just makes more bread to make bread crumbs from.

I  wanted to give the recipe a Southwestern spin so added minced red pepper, chili powder, and cumin.  Jalapeno pepper could be added for a little more heat if one wished.  Next time I make these I want to do an Italian version with some browned Italian sausage (maybe 1/4 lb.), oregano, fennel and mozzarella cheese.

Since it’s January, and many of use are thinking both about budget and diet, this recipe fits in well.  It is relatively low fat and inexpensive.  These warm up nicely heated in a microwave for 30 seconds, so are nice to make up and keep on hand.  The bread cups can be made ahead, and the egg mixture mixed up and stored in the fridge to save time putting these together in the morning.


Southwest Bacon and Egg Cups
Loosely adapted from Mini Bacon and Egg Tarts, pg. 169,  Cooking Light, Jan./Feb. 2012

12 slices 12-grain bread, crusts removed and cut so they are square  (any bread of choice may be used)
1/4 c. melted butter
4 slices bacon
1/3 c. finely chopped onion or green onion
1/3 c. finely chopped red pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
5 eggs, well beaten
1/4 c. 1% milk (skim, 2%, or whole milk can be used)
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c. (2 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Flatten bread squares with rolling pin or the palm of your hand.  Lightly brush both sides of bread with melted butter.  Press each bread slice into a cup of a greased muffin tin.  Bake at 400 degrees 5 min.  Cool slightly if filling right way.   Reduce oven to 350 degrees.   Meanwhile cook and crumble bacon.  Discard grease from skillet bacon was cooked in and wipe out with a paper towel.  Add onion, red pepper and garlic.  Cook for about 5 minutes.  Cool slightly.  Combine eggs, milk, and seasonings.  Mix well.  Add bacon and onion, red pepper and garlic mixture.   Spoon egg mixture evenly into toast cups.  (I use a gravy ladle.).  Sprinkle each cup with about 2 teaspoons cheese.  Bake about 15 minutes or until eggs are set.  Cool slightly.  Remove from muffin cups, using a knife to loosen if necessary.  Makes 12

3 comments:

  1. Those look so good. My husband would love the peppers in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, these sound very flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look soooo good! I know my hubby would love them...using our low carb bread, it would be great for our new year eating plan. Thanks so much for sharing your experiments with us. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...