Image Map

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Improv Challenge-Ginger Glazed Carrots with Pecans

Improv Challenge

Carrots and ginger are the ingredients for February’s Improv Challenge being hosted by Kristen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Housewife.  Since I love to make side dishes, I decided that is what I would go with for this challenge.  I teamed the carrots and ginger with butter, brown sugar, and pecans.  I can almost say that even “cooked carrot haters” might eat this dish.

I like to use baby carrots cut in half vertically but regular carrots cut into 2-inch sticks will work also.  If any of the baby carrots are thick, cut those into quarters.  I cut the pecans into lengthwise slivers also.

The carrot mixture can also be turned into a small casserole and heated in a 350-degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes.  Watch carefully and stir once or twice.

IMG_2326-1

Ginger Glazed Carrots with Pecans
1 lb. baby carrots
3 T. butter
3 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 c. vertically chopped pecans
Dash freshly ground pepper
Finely chopped green onions for garnish if desired

Cut carrots in half lengthwise and cook in boiling, salted water until crisp-tender.  Drain well.  Melt butter in the same saucepan that carrots were cooked in.  Add brown sugar and ginger and cook until sugar is melted.  Add pecans and cook over low 5 to 7 minutes, watching carefully and stirring often until pecans are well coated.  Return carrots to saucepan with butter/sugar/pecan mixture.  Cook over medium heat, watching carefully and stirring often until carrots are heated through.  Makes 4 servings.

IMG_2331-1

The ingredients for the Improv Challenge for March are potatoes and cheese (any kind).  To learn more about joining the challenge, head on over to Kristen's blog for the details.

1 comment:

  1. I would just love these...I love dressed up carrots any ole way you can fix them, and this sounds great. I do have a similar recipe I use orange juice and honey on cooked carrots.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...