Image Map

Monday, April 9, 2012

Cranberry Orange Coleslaw and PicMonkey

Good Monday to you all.  I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend with family, friends, food and rejoicing in the knowledge that our Lord and Savior is alive and with us always.  I thank you for taking the time from your busy lives to read this blog.

Our oldest daughter joined us for dinner last.  The rest of the family was busy elsewhere so it was a quiet day.  I made a ham and a couple of dishes I will be sharing the recipes for this week.

This is the first time I have used PicMonkey to edit my photos.  I decided that since it is only a week until Picnik is gone that I should try using a different online photo editor.  I think that I am going to like PicMonkey very much.  It is much like Picnik and was very easy to use.  If you haven’t yet tried it, I recommend that you do.

For our salad yesterday, I wanted to make coleslaw.  I took a couple of ideas from two of the recipes I listed in my Friday Finds last Friday and added my own touches.  I used the  Wicked Easy Slaw Dressing from A Pinch of Joy and the Caramelized Almonds from Pocked Change Gourmet, added some touches of my own and made Cranberry Orange Coleslaw.  This was a very good and pretty salad and went very well with the ham.

IMG-2693-1

Cranberry Orange Coleslaw
1 (1 lb.) package coleslaw mix or equivalent in shredded cabbage
1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, well drained
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/3 c. chopped onion (red if you have it)
1/2 c. mayonnaise (low fat or fat-free is OK)
2 T. milk
2 T. sugar or sugar substitute
2 T. sugar
1/2 c. sliced almonds

Combine coleslaw mix, oranges, cranberries and onion in a mixing bowl.  Toss to mix well.  Combine mayonnaise, milk and sugar and mix well.  Add to coleslaw mixture and mix well.  Melt 2 T. sugar slowly in a small skillet.  Add sliced almonds and heat until candied and brown, stirring often and watching very closely to prevent burning.  Turn almonds out onto a piece of aluminum foil and let cool.  Break into pieces and add to coleslaw just before serving.  Mix well.  Makes 6 servings.


Linking to:  Newbie Party
Recipe Sharing Monday
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Mangia Monday
Making Mondays Marvelous
Made by You Monday
Show Me What You Got

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful salad! Glad you had a nice Easter and I think PicMonkey will be easy to use too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very tasty. Sounds great with the cranberries in it. thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really yummy. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad I "met" you! I love anything with mandarin oranges in it! My husband just started liking coleslaw this year so double bonus! Thanks for sharing this Loy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that you had a nice Easter. This looks really yummy! I would love for you to stop by and link up at my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/04/show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-9.html


    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this coleslaw.. it looks fantastic! I have a new potato recipe coming.. visit soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe! My kids love coleslaw and your version looks really yummy. I found you through Debbiedoo's Newbie Party. I'm looking forward to following your blog and seeing more of your delicious recipes. Have a great week!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really delicious! I like the fruit you added and I would say it would be really good paired with ham! I want to invite you to the Rock N Share to link up any of your projects that you'd like! The party is going on now through Friday midnight.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...