Image Map

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Spiced Rhubarb Sauce/Jam

I am still on a rhubarb recipe kick since finding some rhubarb at a great price last week.  This is a simple recipe to make and can be used as a condiment to accompany meats, as a glaze for ham, or as a spread for biscuits, muffins, pancakes or waffles.

There is somewhat of a “pucker factor” when this is hot, but that lessens when it is cold.  Although I have not yet tried it, I think that using rice, balsamic, red or white wine vinegar instead of the apple cider vinegar might reduce this some.

I make very small batches of this at a time since it is so easy, but the recipe can be multiplied and the sauce put in the freezer.  This will keep for quite awhile in the refrigerator.

This is another recipe from Taste at Home and was submitted by Paula Pelis from New York.

IMG_2913-1

Spiced Rhubarb Sauce/Jam
2 1/2 c. diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1 cup plus 2 T. sugar
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/8 – 1//4 t. cloves
1/8 – 1/4 t. allspice

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and mix well.  Bring to a rapid boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 60 to 70 minutes.  Pour into a clean container, cool, pour into a clean container and refrigerate.  Makes about 1 pint.
Note:  because I had a green variety of rhubarb, I added a bit of red food coloring to make the sauce prettier.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great sauce! I was curious about using red food coloring, looks like it worked great-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just checked rhubarb at the store yesterday...$2.99/lb. Yikes....I'm heading to the farmer's market tomorrow and hoping for a better deal! All of your rhubarb stuff is making me want some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rhubarb. I grew up in the country in Maine, and my mother had planted some. So we always had it on hand. I'll have to try this recipe.

    I would like to win the cookbook. I have so many, and file cabinets with recipes. Cooking from scratch is one of my hobbies. I try to make at least two new dinner recipes each week.

    I tried entering my URL, but it didn't work. My name is Donna Spencer, and my email is fulltimer13103@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one that I need to try~

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...