Image Map

Monday, August 20, 2012

Chicken in Shells Alfredo

This dish, that I make often, is one of those that I call a pantry shelf recipe.  That means that the ingredients can be kept on a pantry shelf and/or in the freezer for an easy meal.  This can also be made ahead and feeds a crowd.

Jumbo pasta shells are used to make this.  I find that one package of the shells is more than enough for one recipe but not enough to make it twice.  So I buy two packages of shells which is enough to make the recipe three times.  I cook about 25 to 26 shells and usually end up with about 24 I can actually use.  Some shells always seem to tear apart in when cooking.

Although my favorite  Quick and Easy Alfredo Sauce recipe is at Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures,  I generally use Ragu Classic Alfredo and Ragu Garlic Parmesan sauce to make this.  Otherwise, I can’t really call it a pantry shelf recipe.  I use a jar of each flavor.  They can be mixed together in a bowl, but I just pour each one over the prepared shells and swirl them together with a spatula.  You may,  of course, use two jars of a single flavor.

The veggies can be varied to suit your taste.  I usually use peas and carrots for their color, but just peas, as well as chopped broccoli and mixed vegetables, can be used.  In the spring, chopped, cooked asparagus is a great addition.

IMG_3446-1

Chicken in Shells Alfredo
25 to 26 jumbo pasta shells
1 (6 oz.) pkg. stuffing mix such as Stove Top
1 1/2 c. water
1/3 c. finely chopped onion
1/3 c. finely chopped red pepper
1 c. frozen peas and carrots or another veggie
1/2 c. mayonnaise (low fat is OK)
2 cans (5 oz.) chicken chunks or 2 c. cubed, cooked chicken
1 jar Ragu Classic Alfredo Sauce
1 jar Ragu Garlic Parmesan Sauce
1 1/2 c. shredded Italian cheese blend

Cook pasta shells according to package directions.  Set aside to cool.  Combine water, onion, red pepper, peas and carrots in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in dressing mix, cover, and let set 5 minutes.  Stir in mayonnaise and mix well.  Stir in chicken.  Spoon heaping tablespoonfuls of mixture into the pasta shells.  Place shells in a sprayed 9x13-inch baking pan.  Pour jar of Alfredo Sauce over the prepared shells.  Pour jar of Garlic Parmesan Sauce over prepared shells.  Using a spatula swirl the two sauces together slightly.  Cover tightly and place in a 350-degree oven.  Bake 25 to 30 minutes.  Top with cheese and return uncovered to oven until cheese melts.  May be made up to 48 hours ahead.  Use a glass pan and cover with plastic wrap.  Bake 1 hour 15 minutes.  Makes 8 to 12 servings.


IMG_3422-1

Linking to:  Tuesday Talent Show
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Tuesdays at the Table
Tuesday Timeout
Tasteful Tuesday
Totally Tasty Tuesday
Terrific Tuesdays 
Ingredient Spotlight

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that I'm following you! This recipe is wonderful. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...