Image Map

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Turkey Tetrazzini

Although I always make up a turkey soup after roasting a turkey, this recipe is probably my favorite way to use up leftover turkey.  It is easy and cheesy, and of course, can also be made using cooked chicken or even drained, canned salmon or tuna, if desired.

The original recipes called for topping the tetrazzini with sliced almonds, and I sometimes do that.  I also like it topped with French fried onions, and that is what I used when I made the dish in the photo

The tetrazzini can be assembled ahead, covered and refrigerated until baking time.  Just bake 10-15 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly.  If I do this, I do not add the cheese and almonds or French fried onions on the top until just before baking.

This recipe has been in my computer files for many years, and I do not know the source.   I, of course, have adapted it to my family's taste.
 
Turkey Tetrazzini
1 package (7 oz.) spaghetti
1/4 c. butter or margarine
1/2 c. flour
2 c. turkey or chicken broth
2 c. half and half or milk
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. chicken bouillon granules
1/2 c. grated Parmesan Cheese
1 1/2 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
2 c. cooked, cubed turkey
1 c. frozen peas and carrots
1/4 c. sliced almonds or enough French fried onions to cover the top of the casserole.

Cook spaghetti as directed on package.  Rinse with cold water and set aside.  Melt butter in a 3-qt. saucepan.  Stir in flour and cook for a minute or so.  Gradually add broth and half and half or milk.  Stir in salt, pepper, and chicken bouillon granules.  Heat and stir until thickened.  Stir in Parmesan cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts.  Add turkey and peas and carrots mix well.  Stir in spaghetti.  Turn into a greased 9x13-inch baking pan or a 2-qt. casserole dish.  Sprinkle top with reserved cheddar cheese and almonds or French fried onions.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.  May be assembled ahead and baked later.  Do not add the topping ingredients until just before baking.  Add 10-15 minutes to baking time.  Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Linking to these great parties:
Full Plate Thursday

  

8 comments:

  1. I have never tried this and really think I'd like it-thanks for sharing:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!
    My webpage ... vfopen.vodafone.It

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Loy,
    We just love Turkey Tetrazzini and your recipe looks delicious. I need to make this recipe really soon. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this. Sounds yummy. My kids like spaghetti. Perhaps they will like this and it has veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is just fabulous...everyone raves about this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would like to try this,can i sub frozen veggies for mushrooms,or is there a way to put mushrooms somewhere in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mushrooms can certainly be added or used insteak or the peas and carrots. Many tetrazzini recipes call for mushrooms, but hubby doesn't like them so I don't use them. Other veggies can be use, too, if you prefer something else.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...