Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hawaiian-Style Vegetables-Improv Cooking Challenge




Today is the day to post our recipes for this month’s Improv Cooking Challenge hosted by Kristen over at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker.  (Note, Kristen’s is in the process of changing servers so I will be back with a link as soon as I know the blog is back up.)

The ingredients Kristen chose this month were peas and carrots, a pretty common combination.  I chose to go a somewhat traditional route with these, but used snow peas in my recipe.

Many, many years ago Birdseye made a frozen vegetable and pineapple combination called Hawaiian Vegetables.  It had carrots, green peppers, onions, water chestnuts and pineapple with little cubes of frozen sauce that melted and glazed the vegetables as they cooked.  Although I don’t really like green peppers, I did love this particular dish.

I decided this was a good time to try to replicate that recipe.  The only brand I can find that makes 8-oz. cans of pineapple tidbits is Dole.  Pineapple chunks may be used, but they will need to be quartered.  They carrots need to be very thinly sliced, no thicker than the snow peas.  I like to slice them on the diagonal.  Since I didn't use them, I have listed the water chestnuts as optional.

Hawaiian-Style Vegetables
1 can (8 oz.) pineapple tidbits in their own juice
1 T. butter
2 t. brown sugar
1 c. very thinly sliced carrots
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1 c. snow peas
1/2 to 3/4 c. very thinly sliced red pepper (I used about 1/4 of a very large pepper)
1/8 t. salt
1/3 c. thinly sliced canned water chestnuts
1 T. cornstarch
1/3 c. water

Drain pineapple, reserving juice (there should be about 1/3 c.)  Melt butter in a 1 1/2-qt. saucepan and add brown sugar.  Stir in carrots, onion,  and snow peas.  Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 4 minutes, stirring often.  Add red pepper, pineapple juice and salt.  Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.  Add reserved pineapple chunks and water chestnuts, if using.  Cook about 1 minutes longer until vegetables are not quite as tender as you like.  Add cornstarch to water and mix well.  Add to vegetable mixture, stirring constantly.  Cook over medium heat until sauce is clear, thickened, and boiling.  Remove from heat, turn into a serving bowl and serve immediately.  Makes 4 servings.

21 comments:

  1. This looks like it would be good on top of a pile of rice. Great choice for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea. Add some cooked chicken, pork, or beef and it would be a complete meal. I have some roast pork in my fridge. I will have to make up some rice and take this for my lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another yummy recipe using snow peas...yum! Love this Hawaiian veggie dish...so glad you added pineapple!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful looking and sounding dish, I could easily see me pairing this with some stir fried pork, chicken or shrimp for one complete and delicious meal.

    My Improv Cooking Challenge entry this month: Mom's Beef Vegetable Soup, hope that you'll stop over and check the recipe out.

    Lisa~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dish could go with so many things. It would seem that this recreation was a definite success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmmmmm -- I'm pretty sure snow peas are my very favorite from the pea family. They are always so perfect with any kind of stir fry or mixed veggie dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this combination. It sounds really interesting. I love pineapple so why not? Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea for a veggie combo- especially the pineapple and sugar snap peas. Sounds easy and look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum those veggies look so good! Great combo! I love cooking challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging
    for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is magnificent, let alone the content!


    My homepage Lemon juicers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! This article could not be written any better! Looking at this post reminds
    me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept talking about this.
    I am going to forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have
    a great read. I appreciate you for sharing!


    My blog post water vacuum on tv

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and
    I'm inspired! Very useful information particularly the ultimate section :) I deal with such information a lot. I used to be seeking this particular information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    Here is my homepage ... fabriclearreview.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is invaluable. How can I find out more?

    Stop by my webpage: jack la lane power juicer

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do believe all of the concepts you have introduced on your
    post. They're really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too quick for novices. May just you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

    Here is my homepage magnetized flashlights

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey very interesting blog!

    Feel free to visit my site ... indo-tube.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this post and also the rest of
    the site is extremely good.

    Here is my web page vegetables juice

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey there exceptional website! Does running a blog like this require
    a massive amount work? I have very little expertise in
    programming but I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
    Anyway, should you have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners please share.
    I understand this is off topic however I simply had to ask.
    Thanks!

    my page - Wonder File

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this website. It's simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it's tough to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and appearance. I must say that you've done a very good job with this.

    Also, the blog loads very fast for me on Firefox. Superb Blog!



    Also visit my web blog; power juicer

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up.
    Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyway, just
    wanted to say excellent blog!

    My page this domain

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful article.
    Thanks for providing this info.

    Review my blog post ... BriceHCampa

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...