Image Map

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Sorta Montreal Steak Seasoning

I have several recipes that I will be posting soon that use Montreal Steak Seasoning in them.  A commercial brand of Montreal Steak Seasoning can be used, but it is no secret that I like to try making my own herb and spice blends.  I, therefore, give you Sorta Montreal Steak Seasoning.  This does not taste exactly like the commercial product, but I like that I can control both the salt content and the amount of heat of the seasoning.

Coriander may be a spice that you don’t have in your pantry.  The seasoning mix can certainly be made without it, so I am listing coriander as optional in the recipe.  Use regular paprika if smoked is not available.  If you don’t have Kosher salt or coarse ground black pepper, reduce those amounts by half.

Besides steaks and other meats, I use this in soups, hamburger steaks, and casserole dishes.

Sorta Montreal Steak Seasoning
2 T. Kosher salt
1 T. coarse ground black pepper
1 T. dried minced onion
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. crushed red pepper
1/2 T. dried thyme
1/2 T. dried rosemary
1/2 T. fennel seed
1 t. ground coriander (optional)
1 t dill weed
1 1/2 t. paprika (preferably smoked)

Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Place in a spice grinder (it may take two batches) and grind until desired consistency.  (I like mine still kind of coarse.)  Store in a zip-top bag or an airtight container.  Shake bag or container before measuring.  Use about 1 T. per pound of meat.  Makes about 1/2 cup.

Sharing at these great parties:
Cast Party Wednesday 
Whimsy Wednesday

2 comments:

  1. Well you certainly caught my attention with this! I do love Montreal Steak Seasoning:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, not quite the same, but I do like this and use it a lot. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...