Image Map

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Quick, Creamy Chicken Chilaquiles

I am not overly fond of spicy Mexican type dishes, especially those that use salsa.  However, every-once-in-awhile, I find one that I want to try.  This recipe came from the back of a Kraft Mexican Style Queso Quesadilla Cheese package.

Two things made me want to try this recipe.   I had some cooked chicken on hand and also some bits and pieces of tortilla chips leftover from making nachos for hubby for lunch.  The dish  takes less than 20 minutes to prepare which makes it a great weeknight dinner.

I added onions, red peppers and frozen corn to make the recipe more of a one-dish meal.  Since I am a wimp when it comes to heat and did not have any mild salsa on hand (hubby is the salsa eater, and he likes medium), I used half medium salsa and half mild Picante Sauce.

The original recipe called for 3 c. of crushed tortilla chips.  I had only 2 c. on hand, and that amount worked fine.

To save money and calories, in the future I will use only 1 c. to 1 1/2 c. of cheese.  The full 2 cups was a bit of overkill to me.  If you cannot find the Queso Quesadilla cheese, I am sure that Mexican Blend Cheese or Cheddar cheese would work instead.  If I was making this for a potluck or just for me, I would add some sliced ripe olives (hubby doesn't like olives).

All in all, we both liked this dish, and it will go into my regular lunch/dinner rotation.

I wonder, am I the only one who still makes recipes found on food packages?

Quick, Creamy Chilaquiles
1 T. vegetable oil
1/2 c. chopped onions
1/2 c. chopped red peppers
1 c. frozen corn
1 1/2 c. salsa (I used half medium salsa and half mild Picante)
2 c. shredded, cooked chicken
2-3 c. coarsely crushed tortilla chips
1-2 c. shredded Queso Quesadilla Cheese, Mexican Cheese, or Cheddar cheese

Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium high.  Add onion, red pepper and frozen corn.  Cook until onions are tender, about 5  to 10 minutes.  Add salsa and chicken.  Cook for about 5 minutes.  Add crushed tortilla chips and mix well.  Top with cheese.  Cover, cook on medium-low heat 3 minutes until cheese is melted.  Serve topped with sour cream, green onions, and more salsa if desired.  Makes 6 servings.

Linking to these great parties:


1 comment:

  1. Looks really wonderful Loy! I still make recipes from packages...some of the best we enjoy came from the back of a box. =) Thanks for sharing all of your ideas for options.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...