Image Map

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Corn Flake Pecan Crispies-Saturday Sweet

I really like the texture of cookies that are made with a combination of butter and vegetable oil.  This is one of those recipes.  It makes a cookie that is somewhat like the Pecan Sandies available at the grocery store.  Kind of like a crispy shortbread.

The  problem with these cookies is you want to eat them like popcorn.  The good thing is that the recipe makes a big batch so you can.

Having cereal as an ingredient always makes cookies seem to be a bit healthier.  Although this recipe calls for corn flakes, any similar flaked cereal could be substituted.

I adapted this recipe from one I found in a little $1.00 cookbook.  From the looks of the recipes and photos, they may have originally been published by Leisure Arts.

Corn Flake Pecan Crispies
1 c. butter or margarine, softened (I use butter)
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1 c. vegetable oil
1 egg, at room temperature
1 t. vanilla
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
4 c. corn flakes, finely crushed (there should be about 1/2c.)
1 c. finely chopped, toasted pecans

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and the sugars until fluffy.  Beat in vegetable oil, egg and vanilla.  In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt.  Add to creamed mixture.  Stir in corn flakes and pecans.  Drop by teaspoonsful 2-inches apart onto a greased baking sheet.  Using a fork dipped in water, press a crisscross on each cookie.  Bake at 350 degrees 10-12 minutes until edges are light brown.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.  Makes about 7 dozen cookies.

Do you like to use cereal in your cookies?  What is your favorite cereal to use?

Linking to these great parties:

Freaking Awesome Friday
Saturday Spotlight
Weekend Bloggy Reading
Weekend Potluck
Link Party Palooza
Party Junk
Creativity Linky Party
Strut Your Stuff
I'm Lovin' It
Saturday Sharefest


3 comments:

  1. These look delicious! What a great idea to add cornflakes! I bet it adds great texture and crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies look soooo tasty Loy! I do love cornflakes and the crunch they add to cookies...I'm all about cookies, and I'm all about crunch too. What a great team they make. Thanks so much for sharing another yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so badly want these cookies, they may be the first thing I bake when I get my new oven!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...