Image Map

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Irresistible Caramel, Toffee, White Chocolate Dreams

12 Weeks of Christmas Treats Blog Hop | Hosted by MealPlanningMagic.com
Here we are at week 9 of 2013's 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Brenda at Meal Planning Magic. Unfortunately, I have spent the last few days in the land of "Computer Purgatory" so I am very late with this post.  First I lost Windows, then I possibly lost a motherboard, then I found that my external hard drive had not backed up my computer properly.  I lost it all, every bit of information that I had on my computer.  I have no recipes, no pictures, nothing.  In the grand scheme of life, however, when there are things like typhoons and tornadoes this is but a small blip, so I am heaving a big sigh and moving on.

I call this bar cookie irresistible because it has so many goodies packed into it.  Want oatmeal shortbread, it's in there.  Want white chocolate, it's in there.  Want toffee bits, they're in there.  Want almonds, they're in there.  Want caramel, it's in there.  Lastly, want streusel (I do), it's in there.  These are thick, very rich cookies that are both crunchy because of the almonds and streusel, and gooey because of the caramel.

As with most of the cookie recipes I post, this recipe can be easily varied by changing the flavor of the chips, the variety of nuts and using other flavors of ice cream topping such as butterscotch and chocolate.

If you have someone to mail cookies to, these travel well if they are tightly wrapped.

Caramel, Toffee, White Chocolate Dreams
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. quick oats
1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1 t. baking soda
1 c. butter or margarine melted
1 (12 oz.) jar caramel flavor ice cream topping
1/4 c flour
1 pkg. white chocolate chips
1 c. slivered almonds
1 pkg. toffee bits

Mix flour, oats, brown sugar and soda in a large mixing bowl until well blended.  Stir in butter or margarine until mixture is well blended and butter is the size of small peas.  You may have to finish the mixing with your hands.  Measure out and reserve 1 1/2 cups for the topping.  Pat remaining mixture evenly into a foil-lined 9x13-inch pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove from oven, place on a wire rack and let cool 5 minutes.  While crust is cooling remove lid from ice cream topping, heat jar in microwave for 1 minutes on high. Pour into small bowl, add flour and mix well.  Scatter the  white chocolate chips evenly over the slightly cooled crust, followed by the almonds and the toffee bits.  Pour the caramel topping/flour mixture evenly over the top.  Scatter the reserved flour/oat mixture evenly over the caramel.  Press down slightly with the palm of your hand.  Return to oven and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.  Place pan on a wire rack to cool.  Cut into bars with a wet knife, cleaning it often.  Makes about 36 bars.  Store in a zip-top bag.

There is still three weeks remaining.  If you have some favorite treats you would like to share, just go here to sign up.

Check out the links below to see other Christmas treats posted this week.


Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your computer, I know that can be very frustrating! Your cookies look yummy though! Have a great pre-Thanksgiving week:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!!

    I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.


    Papa, i want to go

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...