Image Map

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pick-Your-Flavor Hot Milk Drink

Welcome to my new followers and thanks to all of you who take the time out of your busy lives to stop and read my blog.  It is appreciated, and I hope what you find here is useful to you.  Have a great week.

IMG_2092-1

I don’t drink coffee.  It is just something that I never developed a taste for.  Sometimes I want something other than cocoa or hot tea.  I have seen all the flavored syrups designed for use in coffee at the grocery store.  I thought surely there must be a use for those, but not necessarily in cocoa or tea.

Over the holidays, two things came together.  Marsha over at The Better Baker posted a recipe for Hot Cinnamon Milk Mix which she found at Craftaholics Anonymous.  This recipe used dry milk, flavored non-dairy creamer, sugar, and cinnamon.  I made the recipe, and it was very good.  The original recipe called for French Vanilla Flavored Creamer.  I also made up a couple of batches using Irish Cream and Pumpkin Spice Creamers.  I liked them too.

Then one of my local grocery stores had Torani syrups on sale for the whole month of December.  I had $1.00 off coupons on these.  That meant that I could purchase the syrups for $3.99 a bottle versus the regular price of $6.99.  I had been thinking that I could take the Hot Cinnamon Milk recipe and use plain non-dairy creamer instead of the flavored  creamer and use the syrups for the flavoring.  That is what I did, and I think that it worked really well.

I have said that I get bored with food easily.  This way I can make up a batch of the base mix and add whatever flavoring I want that day.  I purchased three flavors:  Butter Rum, Almond Roca, and Hazelnut.  There are other flavors I want to try such as Coconut and Almond.  Cinnamon or other spices could be added to the drink, too.

I reduced the amount of sugar from the original recipe as I found the drink a bit too sweet for me.  A favorite sugar substitute could be used.  I also use 1/4 c. instead of 1/3 cup of the mix.
 
Pick Your Flavor Hot Milk Drink
2 c. instant dry milk
1 c. plain powdered creamer
3/4 c. sugar or Splenda

Combine and mix well.  Store in zip-top bag or air-tight container. 

To use:  Heat 1/2 c. milk and 1/2 c. water until hot.  Stir in 1/4 to 1/3 c. of the above mix and 1 T. or more any flavor Torani syrup or other desired coffee flavoring syrup.  Makes 1 (8 oz.) serving.

It is only January, but looking ahead, I think that a batch of the mix along with two or three flavors of the syrup put in recycled spice or similar bottles would make a nice Christmas gift.

Linking to:  Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Take a Look Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday
Totally Tasty Tuesday
Tuesday Time Out
Tip Me Tuesday
Show Me What Ya Got
Success U Wednesday

3 comments:

  1. What a fab idea! I use those flavorings with diet cocoa mix to bump up the flavor... but this would be a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Loy for featuring the hot cinnamon milk. I LOVE your idea of variety. When I made my last batch, I didn't add as much Splenda, and really do enjoy it. Hip Hip Horrah for you. Love those bargains too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any dry milk, but I may try this with regular milk. The DaVinci brand (bottle twice as big) is a good deal at Sams or GFS.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...