Image Map

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Chocolate and Vanilla Waffle Cookies-Improv Challenge

I am back with my post for the other challenge I participate in.  The ingredients Kristen, from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker, chose for this month's Improv Challenge were chocolate and vanilla.

There is chocolate and vanilla in many recipes, but I decided that I would play the combination up a bit by adapting a Chocolate Waffle Cookie recipe to be a two-tone cookie with one side being vanilla flavored.  Although the baking process is a bit time-consuming, waffle cookies are a great treat to make in the summer time when it is hot, and you don't want to use the oven.  Waffle cookies make a more cookie-like cookie than many no-bake recipes.  These cookies are soft and cake-like.  My waffle iron makes 4 cookies at a time.  If you have a family-size waffle iron, you can probably make 8 at a time.

Chocolate and Vanilla Waffle Cookies
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. butter, softened
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 t. vanilla, divided
1 1/2 c. flour plus 3 T.
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. milk
3 T cocoa powder
1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1 c. sifted powdered sugar
3 T. water or milk

In large mixing bowl, combine sugar and butter and beat until creamy.  Add egg and vanilla and beat well.  Combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to sugar/egg mixture mix well.  Add 1/2 of the milk and beat well.  Continue adding flour mixture and milk in this manner ending with the flour mixture.  Divide dough, placing half of it in a small mixing bowl.  Add cocoa powder to one of the bowls of dough mixing until well blended.  Add 1 t.vanilla and the 3 T. flour to the other half of the dough and mix well.  Add chopped nuts, if using, dividing them evenly between dough halves.  Heat waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  Drop a teaspoon of chocolate dough into two opposite corners of each waffle grid.  Drop a teaspoon of white dough next to the chocolate dough.  Close lid and cook until the waffle iron indicates cookies are done.  Gently remove the cookies with a fork and transfer to a wire rack to cool.  Combine powdered sugar and water to make a smooth glaze.  Brush glaze over the cookies.  Let set.  Transfer to a zip-top bag to store.  Makes about 3 dozen.

September's Improv ingredients are pasta and cheese.  If you would like to join in the fun, you can find all the details on Kristen's Improv Page.

To see what other bloggers have made with chocolate and vanilla, check out the links below.

Linking to these great parties:
Friday Flair
Freaking Awesome Friday
Strut Your Stuff
Weekend Potluck
Weekend Bloggy Reading
I'm Lovin' It
Link Party Palooza
Saturday Spotlight
Share Your Creativity
Party Junk


14 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmm! Sure do love "black & whites"... sure do love waffles, too. These look like THE PERFECT COOKIE, Loy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of making cookies in the waffle iron. Need to get me one of those! The two-tone is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew you could make cookies in a waffle iron??? They look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your two toned cookies are wonderful. It's always such a treat to make something unexpected with the waffle maker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative way to celebrate waffles!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they really turned out neat! Fun idea:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're so cute! Now I really need to convince my husband that one more kitchen gadget, the waffle maker, is really really necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love these cookies! I once tried making a waffle cookie but they were such disasters! These turned out beautifully and I think I could eat a whole plate of them! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum- love waffles (both chocolate and vanilla). These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum YUm Yum, do you know it's been about 20 years since I last had waffles...I so need to recitfy this..send me some LOL Thanks for linking with me xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look gorgeous!! So yummy! I would love to try these. Thank you for linking them to Weekend Potluck. I'm sharing on my facebook page today! Hugs, Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning, I just saw your recipe in the Potluck roundup on The Country Cook. This is such a great idea, the kids will love it. I've shared this on my facebook page from The Country Cooks page and then linked it directly to you in my comments.

    Thanks so much for sharing this,
    Joanne/Winelady Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! You are just so creative. So tickled you shared these at Weekend Potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it when appliances can be used other than intended. Your cookies look tasty.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...