Image Map

Friday, December 11, 2015

Peppermint Sugar Cookies Squares-12 Days of Christmas Treats


I have sorely neglected this blog this year and plan to do much better in 2016.  Although not posting much, I did go through and remove all the annoying graphics that showed up where photos should have been.  Now I just have to patiently go through and remake all those recipes and take new pictures.  I have also brought my index up to date.

I wanted, once again, to do a 12 Days of Christmas Treats.  I am starting today so that it will get over a couple of days before Christmas.

As always, I will be sharing recipes that I feel are quick and easy.  One quick, easy way to make cookies is to make bar cookies.  You all know how much I love to do that.  All you have to do is take a look at my index.

Today I offer Peppermint Sugar Cookie Squares.  Peppermint is surely one of the defining flavors of the holiday season.  This is the perfect recipe for all those candy canes that seem to get broken somewhere along the line.

This is a basic sugar cookie bar recipe that I adapt in many different ways.  The original recipe used shortening.  I have used butter instead, but now also use shortening since I discovered palm shortening.  Either one will work.

When I crush the candy canes, I leave them in their wrappers, pound them with my meat mallet and then remove the wrappers over a bowl.


Peppermint Sugar Cookie Squares
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. shortening or softened butter
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 T. milk
1/2 t. peppermint or mint extract
1 egg
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. crushed peppermint candy canes (about 8 regular sized canes)
1 T. sugar to sprinkle over the top


In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, shortening or butter oil milk peppermint extract and egg and beat well.  In a small bow combine flour baking powder and salt  Mix to combine  Stir into sugar/egg mixture.  Mix well.  The dough will be somewhat stiff.  Turn dough out onto the center of a foil-lined 10x15-inch jelly-roll pan.  Using a moistened off-set spatula spread the dough out evenly to fill the pan.  If you don’t have an off-set spatula, use your moistened hands to spread the dough  Sprinkle the 1 T. sugar evenly over the top of the dough.  Bake at 375 degrees 10 to 12 minutes or until a light golden brown.  Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes.  Lift foil and remove cookies from the ban.  Cut into about 2-inch squares.  Place on wire rack to cool completely.  Makes about 40 cookies


Linking to:
Weekend Potluck

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...