Image Map

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Low-Sugar, No-Bake Pumpkin Pudding Squares-12 Days of Christmas Treats


Since my son has diabetes, I always try to be careful about sugar when he is going to be eating dinner with us.  He was going to be here for Thanksgiving so I wanted to make a dessert that it would be OK for  him to eat.

I ran across a recipe for no-bake pumpkin pie that used pumpkin along with two packages of instant pudding mix.  I gave it a try and used my hubby as a taste tester.  He said the pie was alright, but that he thought it didn’t have enough pumpkin flavor.

I made the recipe again and doubled that amount of pumpkin and reduced the instant pudding to one package.  I also change the spices to include the spices those I normally use when making regular pumpkin pie.  Hubby was much happier with this attempt.  This also solved the problem of having leftover pumpkin to deal with.

When making this for Thanksgiving, I discovered that I had forgotten to purchase the sugar-free instant vanilla pudding that I needed, but had sugar-free instant butterscotch pudding on hand, so used that and it worked out fine.  I also doubled the recipe and put it in a 9x13-inch pan.

I changed the pie pan to an 8-inch square pan because it would give one more serving.   Hence, Pumpkin Pudding Squares and not Pumpkin Pudding Pie.


No-Bake Pumpkin Pudding Squares
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. sugar (you can use if not serving to diabetics)
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) sugar-free instant vanilla or butterscotch pudding mix (use regular instant
pudding mix if not serving to diabetics)
1 can (15 oz.)  cooked pumpkin
1 c. milk
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground cloves
1 1/2 c. thawed, frozen topping


In a small bowl combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter (and sugar if using) until well combined.  Press into the bottom of an 8 or 9-inch square pan.  In a large mixing bowl combine pudding mix, pumpkin, milk, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves.  Beat with a wire whisk until well blended and smooth.  Stir in frozen topping until everything is well combined.  Pour on top of graham cracker crust in pan.  Place in refrigerator and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.  Serve with additional whipped topping if desired.  Makes 9 servings.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...