Image Map

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Taste of the Tropics Fruit Pudding Cake

I am Grandma Loy, and you can find me over at From Grandma Loy’s Kitchen where I share both new recipes and tried and true ones from my extensive collection.  I am thrilled to be participating in this Good Old Fashioned Recipe Blog Swap hosted by Julie, Rachel and Kelly and that I am paired with Tammy here on her blog.

Since Tammy has a large family, I thought that this tried and true dessert would “fit the bill.”  It is easy, quick to make, versatile and makes a lot.  This is an old recipe I have adapted and used for many years.  It came from one of my favorite  cookbooks,  “The Thrifty Cook” by Farm Journal.  This book was practically “my cooking Bible” when I was raising my children.  The original recipe was Fruit Pudding Cake.  Over the years because of the ingredients I use, I have dubbed it Taste of the Tropics Fruit Pudding Cake.  I am not quite sure why this was called a pudding cake, except for the fact that there is a lot of fruit held together with not a whole lot of batter.

You can use fruit cocktail, other canned fruit, or fresh fruit in this recipe.  If using fresh fruit, use 1 1/2 cups fruit and 1/2 to 2/3 cup water instead of the canned fruit juice.  Although I use canned pineapple, I don’t use the pineapple juice as I am not going for a dominate pineapple taste.  If you want to use the pineapple juice, drain the liquid from the fruit cocktail, measure it and use half to all that amount of pineapple juice.  I add the extra cherries for color and because I like them.  They may be omitted.  If making this for a potluck or company, I usually spring for macadamia nuts, but any nut of choice can be used.

This cake is good by itself, better with some whipped topping or whipped cream, and really wonderful with the Buttermilk Syrup or any warm, ice cream topping poured over it.

Taste of the Tropics Fruit Pudding Cake
1 can (16 oz.) fruit cocktail or other canned fruit, chopped
1 can (11 oz.) mandarin orange slices, well drained  (I use fresh if they are in season)
1 can (8 oz.) pineapple tidbits, well drained  (If you can’t find the tidbits, use pineapple chunks and cut them into thirds.)
1/4 c. halved maraschino cherries, well drained (optional)
! egg, beaten
1 t. vanilla
! 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1/2 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 c. chopped nuts of choice
1/2 c. sweetened, flaked coconut

Combine undrained  fruit cocktail, orange slices, pineapple tidbits and cherries in a large mixing bowl.   Beat egg in a small bowl.  Add egg and vanilla to fruit mixture.  In another bowl stir together the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda until well blended.  Stir flour mixture into fruit mixture until sell mixed.  The batter will be fairly stiff.  Evenly spread batter into a greased 9x13-in baking pan.  Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the top of the batter.  Follow with the chopped nuts and then the coconut.  Gently pat the topping ingredients into the batter with the palm of your hand to help them adhere.  Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.  Cool in pan on rack.  Cut into squares and top with whipped topping, whipped cream or, if desired, pour a sauce over each square.  Serves 15.

Tammy, enjoy the recipe and thanks again for allowing me to share your blog.  Visit Julie at White Lights on Wednesday, Kelly at Miss Information or Rachel at i love my disorganized life to see the matchups and links to all the recipes posted today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...