Image Map

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Ingredient Spotlight-Bacon and Corn Scramble

Aw, peppers, kind of a love/hate relationship here.  I don’t like the green ones, but discovered a couple of years ago that I do like the red ones.  Also found out that they are very good for you.  I like the yellow and orange one, too; but don't buy them often since they are more expensive.  Now I put red peppers in as many things as I can get away with.  So far hubby hasn’t said anything about it

Here is my contribution to today’s spotlight.  Although I am calling this Bacon and Corn Scramble, it is more of an idea than a recipe; and I use other vegetables:  carrots, peas, green beans, mixed vegetables, etc. to make this side dish also.  I change the herbs/spices up all the time so this dish is very versatile.  I like to use green onions for color if I have them, otherwise I just use regular ones (can be yellow, white or red ).

Bacon and Corn Scramble

2 slices bacon
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bunch green onions, sliced with some of the green part used
1/3-1/2 c. red pepper, chopped
1/3-1/2 c. finely chopped celery
1 can (16 oz.) corn, well drained or 2 c. fresh or frozen corn, cooked
1/4-1/2 t.  herb or spice of your choice (try curry powder, rosemary, basil, thyme, oregano, blends)
salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon in frying pan until crisp.  Crumble and set aside.  Drain bacon fat from the pan into glass measuring cup.  Wipe skillet with a paper towel to remove residue.  Return 1 T. bacon fat to the skillet.  Heat and add garlic, green onions, red pepper, and celery.  Cook, stirring often, until tender.  Add corn and herb or spice of your choice.  Heat and stir until corn is heated through.  Put in a serving dish and top with the crumbled bacon.  Makes 3-4 servings

Linking up to Ingredient Spotlight at Eat at Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...