Image Map

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ingredient Spotlight-Jam Cake

 I confess, I do not care for blueberries.  However, I did not want to skip this Ingredient Spotlight so I have been keeping my eyes open for something to post.  In the same Farm Journal cookbook that I posted the Sour Cream Coleslaw recipe from yesterday, I spied a recipe for Blackberry Jam Cake.  The recipe said that it was also good with strawberry or raspberry jam.  So I thought blueberry jam-that could work.  I think this is just going to be called Jam Cake as probably any jam flavor could be used.  I love a recipe that is a base from which I can make variations.

This improves with aging so can be made a day or two ahead of serving if one can wait to eat it.  That would not be me.  I put this in a 9x13-inch glass baking dish and baked it for 45 minutes.  I let cool and sprinkled powdered sugar over the top.  The cake is just a hint of purple, is moist with a subtle spice and berry flavor, and is crunchy with the nuts.  So go forth and make a purple cake!

Jam Cake
Great Home Cooking in America
Farm Journal Books, 1976

1 c. butter or margarine
1 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 c. jam of choice
3 1/4 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground nutmeg
1 t. ground allspice
3/4 t. salt
1 c. buttermilk
1 1/3 c. chopped walnuts (I used only 1 cup and toasted them)

Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in jam.  Sift dry ingredients together.  Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.  Stir in walnuts.  Spread batter in greased and waxed-paper-lined 9-inch tube pan.  Bake at 325 degrees 1 hour and 30 minutes or until cake tests done.  Makes 10 servings.

I am linking to Ingredient Spotlight and Whisking Wednesdays.

3 comments:

  1. I have heard of a jam cake before but never made one myself. A purple cake sounds good to me. Thanks for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I have never heard of this kind of cake before but I have to try it out! Thanks for sharing! I found your blog through a link party. I love finding other blogs with great recipes! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a really delicious cake Loy. Very clever, I haven't heard of a jam cake before.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...