Image Map

Monday, October 3, 2011

DIY Groceries-“Can-Do” Cookies

Good Monday Morning.  Welcome to all my new followers and thanks to everyone for following my blog.  If I am not following you, it is because I could not find a link to your blog when I clicked on your photo in the follower’s gallery.  If you look for me and can’t find me, just leave a link to your blog in the comments.

I have a little give away going on.  You can find the details here.

It is hard to believe that there are only 12 weeks until Christmas.  I hope you all are better than me and are ready when it comes.  I never am.  It always seems that I have some last-minute thing to do.

With the hope of helping you make your Christmas baking a little simpler, I am going to post some recipes for basic cookie doughs and mixes over the next few Mondays.  I have already posted 1001 Cookie Mix here.  I have several additional mixes in my files that I will share.

Today, I am sharing the recipe for “Can-Do” Cookies.  This is a basic dough that you can divide in half and make two different kinds of cookies from it.  There are eight recipes included with the basic dough, but there are variations within the eight recipes so there really are more.

In the Chipper recipe, which is a bar cookie, a variety of nuts and different flavored chips can be used for many combinations.

In the Thumbprint recipe, many flavors of  jam and jelly can be used.

The Cinnamon Balls can be rolled in other spice/sugar combinations or in candy sprinkles, etc.

The Refrigerator Cookie additions can be other nuts, peanuts, dried fruits etc.

Different extracts and flavorings can also be used.  They can be kneaded in after the dough has been divided in half.  I toast the nuts for additional flavor.

My memory is that this recipe was put out by Betty Crocker, but I have had it for so long that I am not sure of the source.

"Can-Do” Basic Cookie Dough
2 eggs
2/3 c. shortening
2/3 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 t. vanilla

Place eggs in mixer bowl and beat slightly.  Add remaining ingredients and blend on low speed about 30 seconds.  Mix on medium speed until ingredients are well blended and gather together, about 3 min.  (If dough does not hold together, add 1 or 2 T. milk.)  Divide into 2 equal parts.  Makes any two of the following recipes.

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 recipe “Can Do” Cookie Dough
2 sqs. (oz.) unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 pkg. (6 oz.) chocolate chips
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. sugar

Combine all ingredients together thoroughly.  Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees about 12 min.  Makes 4 doz.

Chippers
1/2 recipe “Can Do” Cookie Dough
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1 pkg. (6 oz.) chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, white chocolate, or cinnamon chips

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.  Press into 9x13-in. pan.  Bake at 375 degrees 20-25 min.  Makes about 42.

Sugar Cookies
1/2 recipe “Can Do” Cookie Dough

Roll dough on a lightly floured board until it is 1/8-in. thick.  Cut with
2 to 3-in. cookie cutter.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Sprinkle with sugar, decorate with sprinkles or frost them.  Bake at 375 degrees 8-10 min.  Makes 3 1/2 doz.

Thumbprints
1/2 recipe “Can Do” Cookie Dough
1 egg white, slightly beaten
3/4 c. finely chopped or ground nuts
1/2 c. or so of jam or jelly of your choice

Shape dough into 1-inch balls.  Dip balls in egg white.  Roll in nuts.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Press thumb in center of each cookie.  Bake at 375 degrees 8-10 min.  Fill impression with jam or jelly.  Makes 3 doz.

Cinnamon Balls
1/2 recipe “Can Do” Cookie Dough
1/3 c. finely chopped or ground pecans
2 T. sugar
1 t. cinnamon

Mix pecan, sugar and cinnamon together.  Shape dough into 1-inch balls.  roll in nut, sugar, cinnamon mixture.  Place 2-in. apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees 8-10 min.  Makes 3 doz.

Pecan Refrigerator Cookies
1/2 recipe “Can Do” Cookie Dough
1 c. chopped pecans

Mix dough and pecan together until thoroughly blended.  Shape dough into two 7-in. rolls; wrap tightly in plastic wrap.  Chill at least 2 hours.  Slice about 1/8-in. thick.  Bake at 375 degrees 8-10 min. until lightly browned.  Make 6 doz.

Peanut Butter Cookies
1/2 recipe “Can Do” Cookie Dough
2/3 c. peanut butter, creamy or crunchy

Combine dough and peanut butter until mixed together thoroughly.  Shape dough  into 1-inch balls.  Place about 2-in. apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten with tines of a fork.  Bake at 375 degrees 10-12 min.  Makes 3 doz.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 recipe “Can Do” Cookie Dough
2/3 c. brown sugar
2 T. water
1 pkg. (6 oz.) chocolate chips
1 c. chopped nuts

Mix all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.  Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees 8-10 min.  Makes 4 doz.

Variations
Almond Diamonds:  Follow Chipper recipe, adding 1/2 t. or more almond extract.  Sprinkle sliced almonds over the top and press into dough.  Bake 20 minutes  Cut into diamonds while still warm.
Peanut Butter with Honey Roasted Peanuts:  Follow peanut butter recipe adding 1/2 c. chopped honey roasted peanuts.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
Maple Walnut:  Add 1/2 t. maple flavoring to half of basic dough.  Form into balls.  Place a walnut half on top and press down.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
Nutella/Coconut:  Add 2/3 c. Nutella to half of basic dough.  Stir in 1/2 c. flaked coconut.   Form into balls.  Do not press down.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes.  Check them at 8 minutes.

Linking to:  Recipe Sharing Monday
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
On the Menu Monday

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I love cookies dough recipes that make a lots and have variations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this fun and versatile recipe, I'm looking forward to trying it:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing my father used to do all the baking and he used to use this same receipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.
    have a peek at this web-site
    Source

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this recipe! The folded recipe was one of the few things I had from my mother, who died when I was age 5. When I became old enough, I baked cookies from this recipe for my sister and dad. Then I made the mistake of loaning it to a friend. She never returned it. I appreciate this more than you know!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...