Image Map

Friday, December 23, 2011

Coconut Pecan Cake Balls

baking

I have been noticing the cake pop and cake balls recipes all around the net for awhile.  My mind ever curious, I wondered if the Coconut Pecan Frosting could be used to make the cake balls.  All the recipes seemed to use the regular type frosting.

I decided to give the version I had running around in my head a try.  I really wanted to use Butter Pecan cake mix, but that is very hard to find where I live, and I did not want to use up one out of my precious inventory just in case things failed.  I decided that, since I had one on hand, I would use a German Chocolate cake mix.

Most of the cake ball recipes say to just make up the cake mix according to the directions, but I had heard that some people had a problem with that.  I decided to use the Wilton pound cake recipe which takes an instant pudding mix and extra eggs.  I am going to try this with my Homemade Cake Mix and see how it goes.

I dipped the cake balls in melted almond bark.  The package of white bark I had was old, and it did not thin out well so the only one of those you are going to see is the one I cut in half to show the inside.   I did better with the chocolate coating so that is what you get to see.  I think that next time I will buy the dipping wafers or try melted frosting or chocolate chips.

Since there are not a lot of pecans in the frosting mix, next time I will add some finely chopped, toasted pecans, maybe 1/2 to 1 cup and maybe some chopped coconut, too.

IMG_1953-1

Coconut Pecan Cake Balls
1 pkg. (18 oz.) cake mix, German Chocolate, Butter Pecan or other.
I small pkg. instant pudding, I used vanilla as I had that on hand
1 c. water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs, room temperature
1 can Coconut Pecan Frosting
2 pkgs. (24 oz.) coating mix (almond bark) or dipping wafers.

Combine all ingredients in mixer bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until well blended.  Pour into a greased 9x13-inch baking pan or two 8x8-inch baking pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes for the 9x13-inch cake or 30 to 40 minutes for the 8x8-inch cakes.  Let stand in pans for 10 minutes.  Remove from pans, place on rack and cool completely.  Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until cake is very cold.  Crumble half of 9x13-inch cake into bowl of a large stand mixer.  Add half of the frosting and mix until frosting is very well blended with the cake mix.  There should be no discernable cake mix crumbs showing.  If only a hand mixer is available, use a quarter of the cake mix and a quarter of the frosting mix at a time.  Use a cookie scoop to measure out level scoops of the mixture.  Roll mixture into balls with your hands.  Place balls on a wax paper lined baking sheet.  Freeze one hour.  Repeat with the other half of the cake and frosting mix.  Melt coating candy according to package directions.  Remove cake balls from freezer and dip into the coating.   Place back on the waxed paper to set.  A 9x13-inch cake will make about 120 or so cake balls.

Below is a picture of what the cake balls looked like with the white coating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...