Image Map

Thursday, July 4, 2013

DIY Chocolate Cake Mix-Guest Post

I am privileged to have CJ from Morsels of Life here to guest post.  CJ and I are both fond of Do-It-Yourself homemade versions of commercial products so she brought her DIY Chocolate Cake Mix just to share with us today.  CJ and I "meet" each week at Friday Favorite Finds over at Finding Joy in My Kitchen.

Hi, friends at Grandma Loy's Kitchen! I'm CJ, and I usually blog at Morsels of Life, where I share simple recipes using everyday materials. I'm so excited to share a recipe with you today - DIY Chocolate Cake Mix! If you've ever wanted the convenience of a cake mix without all the weirdo ingredients hanging out, I've got your solution!

If you like this recipe, please stop by Morsels of Life and check out some others! (Or if DIY Chocolate Cake mix isn't quite your thing, stop by and see what else I have to offer. :P) I'm also on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest. :)

Thanks again Grandma Loy for letting me share with your readers. :)



I first wanted to find out how to make my own cake mix when I wanted to make Cookie Brownies. I know it's not too hard, but sometimes the ease and simplicity of a boxed mix just wins out. However, just because you'd prefer a box cake mix doesn't mean you want to consume hordes of chemical names you can't even pronounce. I've never heard anyone go "Mmm - I love that propylene glycol mono and diesters of fatty acids." I'm guessing you haven't either. So why not combine the quick simplicity of a box cake mix and the control over what you eat and make with your own cake mix?

What things do you like to make on your own?

DIY Chocolate Cake Mix

by
Quick and easy chocolate cake mix you can make while controlling your materials.

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: none
Total time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 box

Materials:

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1.75 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Methods:

Morsels of Life - DIY Chocolate Cake Mix Step 1 - Gather all materials. 1. Gather all materials.




Morsels of Life - DIY Chocolate Cake Mix Step 2 - Combine all listed materials and mash together until homogeneous. To make cake, add 1.25 cups water, 1/2 cup butter, and 3 eggs. Bake approximately at 350F. (35 minutes in a 9x13 pan, 30 minutes in a 9 inch diameter pan, and 20 minutes for cupcakes)
2. Combine all listed materials and mash together until homogeneous. To make a cake, add 1.25 cups water, 1/2 cup butter, and 3 eggs. Bake at 350F. (35 minutes in a 9x13 pan, 30 minutes in a 9-inch diameter pan, and 20 minutes for cupcakes) 

It is so easy and so handy to make your own mixes.  Thanks, CJ for coming by with such a great idea.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me share with your readers, Grandma Loy :) Hope you're having a good time on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you add butter to the mix and then again with eggs before baking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendi - I used butter in both the mix as well as before baking, so the amounts would match up with what most of the box mixes call for. However, you could decrease the amount of butter to a half cup (1 stick) total. (You might be able to decrease it more than that, but I haven't tried, so I don't know how well it would work.)

    Thanks for your question, and please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you add the butter just to the mix, can it be stored?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Grandma Loy. Based on my experience, yes; but you would need to keep the mix in the refrigerator not the pantry.

      Delete
    2. Yep, Grandma Loy's right. You can store it, but I'd recommend freezer or fridge. :)

      Delete
  5. Here goes....crossing my fingers. Mixed every thing up (1/2 cup of butter) and popped it in the oven :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...