Image Map

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Coconut Pecan Drops-Saturday Sweet

Instead of calling these Coconut Pecan Drops, I almost called them Accident Cookies, but that is not very SEO friendly.  I wanted to do that because, the cookies came about because I misread the directions for a cookie recipe I was trying.

I mixed the coconut pecan frosting in with the rest of the ingredients, but that was not what I was supposed to do.  The frosting was to just be used as an icing.  After I realized what I had done, I had two choices:  throw everything out or go ahead and bake the dough and see what happened.

I chose to bake the dough.  What I ended up with was a  nice, soft cakey cookie.  The cake mix flavor can be varied to make several different flavors.  I used yellow cake mix, but I think butter pecan flavor would be great if you can find it in your area.  Of course, German chocolate or any chocolate cake flavor would be good also.

Have you ever made a mistake with a recipe that turned out to be OK in the end?

Coconut Pecan Drops
1 box (18 oz.) cake mix with pudding in the mix, your choice of flavor
1 can coconut pecan frosting
1 c. plain or vanilla yogurt (I used Greek)
1 egg
1/2 c. toasted coconut
1/2 c. chopped, toasted pecans

Place the cake mix in a large mixing bowl.  Add frosting and mix until very well combined.  Measure yogurt in a glass measuring cup.  Add egg and mix with a whisk until well blended.  Stir yogurt into cake mixture and stir until well blended.  Stir in coconut and pecans.  Drop by teaspoonsful onto greased baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown on the bottom.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.  Cookies will remain moist so store in a container with waxed paper between the layers.  Makes about 5 to 6 dozen cookies.

Linking to these great parties:
Freaking Awesome Friday
Weekend Potluck
Strut Your Stuff
Weekend Bloggy Reading
I'm Lovin' It
Link Party Palooza
Party Junk
Saturday Spotlight

4 comments:

  1. These sound so yummy with all that coconut and pecans, and I love how you used Greek yogurt in the cookies - great idea! They sound delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mistakes never tun out good! Your look fantastic though, I'd eat your mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And these were a mistake?! You should make mistakes more often! :) Great use of Greek yogurt, too! While I'm here commenting, I'd like to invite you to come party with us at Tasty Tuesdays! You can find this week's party here, if you're interested: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/quick-dirty-tacos-chicken-carnitas.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a can of coconut pecan frosting in the pantry. I may have to give these a try! I was just thinking about you since it's been a while since I've run into you online. Hope you've been doing well!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...