Image Map

Monday, September 30, 2013

Slow Cooker Curried Apricot Pork Roast

I love the flavors of curry powder and apricots together, so recently I decided to use them in a pork roast that I made in a slow cooker.

I have not been particularly happy with roasts in the slow cooker but have been happier with them since I started cooking them for less time.  This roast reached 160 degrees in 3 hours.  I had allowed six hours, so I just turned my slow cooker to Keep Warm for the remaining time.

The sauce is great poured over rice, couscous or quinoa.  We really enjoyed this meal.

Slow Cooker Curried Apricot Pork Roast
2 1/2 to 3 lb. boneless pork shoulder roast
1 t. salt
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. pepper, coarse ground if possible
1 T. vegetable oil
1 jar (18 oz.) apricot preserves
2 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 c. chicken broth
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. curry powder
1 T. cornstarch
1/4 c. water

Trim any excess fat from the roast.  Heat oil in a large skillet.  Meanwhile, combine salt, garlic powder and pepper.  Rub mixture on all sides of roast.  Brown roast on all sides in hot oil.  Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.  In a medium saucepan combine apricot preserves, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, chicken broth, garlic and curry powder.  Heat and stir until preserves are melted.  Pour mixture over the pork roast.  Cook on low about 6 hours or to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.  (See my comment above.)  Remove roast from slow cooker, cover with foil and let rest 10 minutes.  Pour sauce mixture into a saucepan.  Combine cornstarch and water and stir into sauce.  Heat and stir until sauce boils and thickens.  Slice roast and drizzle with apricot sauce.  The sauce is also good over rice, couscous or quinoa.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...