Image Map

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Chocolate Magic Marshmallow Buns-Dessert Challenge



It is a New Year and a new series of Dessert Challenges at Lady Behind the Curtain.  Sheryl hosts this challenge, and each month she picks two ingredients that must be included in a new dessert recipe you post.  This month’s ingredients are cocoa mix and marshmallows
.
Since I am on my self-imposed Eat from the Pantry Challenge, I looked around to see what I had on hand to include in a recipe.  I had the cocoa mix and the marshmallows.  After thinking about it, I remembered a recipe that was a winner in a Pillsbury Bake-Off many years ago.  It involved wrapping crescent rolls around marshmallows and baking them.  Today there are variations of that recipe all over the internet
.
I wondered if, instead of dipping the marshmallows in melted butter and rolling them in a sugar/cinnamon mixture, I could borrow a technique from my Nutty Marshmallow recipe and dip the marshmallows in hot milk and roll them in the hot cocoa mix.  I figured that it couldn’t hurt to give it a try.

One caution, the crescent rolls must be very tightly sealed or the marshmallow will leak out while the buns are baking.  For easy clean-up, line your baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.  Some recipes have the buns baked in muffin cups.  If you do this, I would grease the muffin cups very thoroughly
.
Since there are only two of use, I used one can of crescent rolls.  The recipe can easily be doubled, but it is not necessary to double the amount of milk.

The buns are best served warm, so if there are leftovers, I suggest reheating them in a microwave for about 15 seconds.


Chocolate Magic Marshmallow Buns
1/2 c. milk
1 can crescent rolls
8 marshmallows
1 envelope hot cocoa drink mix
toothpicks
1/3 . powdered sugar, sifted or put through a sieve

Place milk in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until hot.  Meanwhile open can and separate crescent rolls into wedges.  Place wedges on a foil or parchment-lined baking sheet.  Open envelope of cocoa mix and pour mix into a shallow pan.  Using a toothpick, dip a marshmallow into the hot milk.  You may have to tip the saucepan a bit to cover the marshmallow.  Roll marshmallow in the cocoa mix.  Place marshmallow on the wide end of crescent roll wedge.  Roll wedge around the marshmallow and bring sides together to seal tightly.  Repeat for remaining marshmallows and crescent roll wedges.  Bake at 375 degrees until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.  While buns are baking make the glaze by combining powdered sugar, any cocoa mix leftover from rolling the marshmallows and 1 T. of the milk the marshmallows were dipped in.  Mix until well combined.  Remove buns from oven and let cool slightly.  Brush buns with the glaze.  Serve warm.  Makes 8.  Store any leftover buns tightly covered.  Buns may be reheated for 15 seconds in the microwave.  Enjoy!


Check out the links below to see what other bloggers have made with cocoa mix and marshmallows.  If you would like to join in the fun of Dessert Challenge next month, you can find all out the information at Sheryl's Dessert Challenge page.

5 comments:

  1. Loy - you are just sooo clever! I love your idea and these look mighty fine. I'm not wild about marshmallows, but melted they are great and I'll eat any crescent roll stuff with anything. Thanks for sharing your creativity. We are trying to eat from the pantry too...leaving for Florida in 3 weeks, I want to use up what we have here at home. When you get time, please come over and check out my new blog look...have a great week Friend. Stay warm! http://www.thebetterbaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am stopping by from the Dessert Challenge. Your rolls are very clever! So glad you shared them! I am also hosting Family Fun Friday today...stop by and link up your delicious recipe if you have some time! :) Can't wait to see what Sheryl has for us next month! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very creative. I will definately be trying this sometime in the future, possibly for a Valentine's Day treat! Thanks for sharing this on The Lady Behind The Curtain Dessert Challenge. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I would love one of these with my coffee. Great take on the dessert challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a creative idea! Crescent rolls are amazing, aren't they? Their uses seem endless. Love your recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...