Image Map

Friday, January 31, 2014

Sweet/Hot Red Pepper Relish

A number of years ago, Safeway sold a food magazine called, “Select” that featured their products in the recipes.  Recently, I was going through some magazine I found and clipping the recipes I wanted to save.  This recipe was one of them.  The interesting thing is, if I had gone through these magazines before three or so years ago, I would not have been interested in this recipe.  Three years ago is when I found that I liked red peppers even though I do not like the green ones.

This has become one of my favorite things to have on hand.  I try to keep some of this in my fridge at all times.  The recipe recommended that the relish be served with cream cheese.  In the photo, I have “frosted” 4-oz. of soft cream cheese, turned upside down, with the relish.  I have also used it in a dip, as a condiment to meat and poultry, and spread by itself on crackers.  This would be great served at a Super Bowl Party this weekend.

Although the recipe calls for white wine vinegar, I have used red wine vinegar and rice vinegar with good results.


Sweet/ Hot Red Pepper Relish
2 red bell pepper (about 1 lb. total)
1 onion (1/2 lb.) peeled
1 c. Safeway Select Verdi White Wine Vinegar or red wine or rice vinegar
1 c. sugar
1/2 t. to 2 T. hot chili flakes (optional)  I am a wimp and use 1/2 t. which makes it plenty spicy for me.
salt

Coarsely chop peppers and onion and place in a food chopper or blender.  Chop till particles are about 1/8 inch.  Place in a medium saucepan and add vinegar, sugar and chili flakes.  Bring mixture to a boil over high heat.  Cook, stirring often, over medium-high heat until liquid looks syrupy and is reduced to about 3 tablespoons, about 24 minutes.  Add salt to taste. Serve spread over cream cheese with crackers, add to sour cream for a dip, use as a relish with meat or poultry.  May be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator up to a month.  Makes 1 to 1 1/2 cups.



2 comments:

  1. I know I'd like this! Sounds like a great addition to Sunday's snacks:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very tasty. I am impressed you make your own pepper jelly!! We enjoy it on cream cheese too. A lovely appetizer.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...