Image Map

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Taco Meatloaf-Secret Recipe Club


What a fun blog is An Affair from the Heart, my assignment for Secret Recipe Club this month.  Michaela is a mom of 4 who has been blogging regularly since 2011.  There is a wealth of great recipes and some fun party decorating ideas on her blog.

I actually made several of Michaela’s recipes.  They were all very good, and it was so hard to decide which one to feature on this post.  I made her Homemade BBQ Sauce and used it on some oven-barbecued country spareribs that I served recently.  I have several barbecue sauce recipes that I rotate through when making barbecue, and this one is definitely going into that rotation.

Because I recently scored a great buy on Jimmy Dean Sausage rolls, I tried the Pork Sausage Meatloaf using sage flavored sausage.  This was a very good, different main dish that will be great change from regular meatloaf.


I certainly noticed the sweets recipes and plan to make Almond Joy Brownies Bites and the Nutty Butter Acorns.  What a clever thing to do with a purchased cookie.  I also plan to give the Italian Style Prime Rib recipe to my daughter who does our prime rib for Christmas.

Because I found the idea so intriguing I chose to make the Taco Meatloaf for this post.  I don’t use commercial taco seasoning so used the Taco Seasoning recipe that Michaela had posted in the early days of her blog.  I did not use all of the made-up seasoning mix, I will use it all next time.  Since  there are only two of us, I use 1  1/2 lbs. of ground meat beef to make meatloaf.  The recipe called for 2 lbs. ground beef so I used 2 medium eggs and slightly less crushed corn chips then the recipe called for.  I crushed 2 cups of corn chips in my food chopper which made about 7/8 cup of crushed chips.  I did add a tablespoon of instant minced onion to the meatloaf mixture.

I served the meat loaf with Spanish Rice, whole kernel corn and salad along with salsa and sour cream.  I would have added black olives, but I was out and didn’t want to open a can since hubby doesn’t like them.  He put the Spanish Rice on his meat loaf slices and topped it with the salsa and sour cream.  We really enjoyed this as an alternative to regular meat loaf, it was great in sandwiches, and I will make it often.
 
Thanks for sharing some great recipes, Michaela.


Since most of my readers have larger households, I am posting Michaela’s original ingredients amounts.

Taco Meatloaf
From An Affair of the Heart
2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 (1 oz.) pkg. taco seasoning mix or use recipe here.
1 c. crushed corn chips (about 2 1/2 c. uncrushed)
1/2 c. sour cream
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
2/3 c. Mexican Blend or cheddar cheese

Place ground beef in a large mixing bowl  Sprinkle taco seasoning mix over beef.  Add corn chips and mix lightly until blended.  Measure sour cream into a 1 cup glass measuring cup.  Add eggs and mix well.  Pour egg mixture over ground beef, add salt and pepper to taste and mix until blended.  Place meat mixture in a well-greased loaf pan.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Remove foil and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.  Serve with salsa, sour cream, olives and any other ingredients you would put in a taco.  Serves 6 to 8.


Click here to learn more about joining the fun that is Secret Recipe Club.  Also check out what other Group B bloggers made this month.

Blogger:

12 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I will have to try this soon. Thanks for sharing it with the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loy, I am so glad you enjoyed cooking for my blog! :) What a wonderful post, and you picked some of my family's favorites! Hope to get to cook from yours someday soon! <3 Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love meatloaf and make many flavor variations, but taco flavored is one I have yet to try. Thanks for the recipe inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That meatloaf looks awesome--and I'm intrigued by the rice you served it with as well. Definitely will have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, so much delicious inspiration! It all looks great, but I am with you - that taco meatloaf sounds awesome!! I had your blog this month and had such trouble deciding, but I went with your cereal muffins and am SO glad I did!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love meatloaf; and the rice on top an added bonus. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you switched up a traditional meatloaf recipe to make it with taco seasoning. I know my family would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I've never had a Taco Meatloaf before - and now I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always looking for a new take on meatloaf. This looks delicious. Visiting from SRC B! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMMM! There are so many reasons to love this creative recipe. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Taco meatloaf sounds like a yummy variation on the usual! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...