Image Map

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Butterfinger Peanut Butter Bars-12 Weeks of Christmas Treats


The recipe for week 4 of 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats, hosted by Brenda over at Meal Planning Magic, is one that I have been making for at least 40 years.  The original recipe came from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook called “Homemade Cookies.”  These were a favorite of my children when they were growing up.  The book is taped together in places and food stained from all the years of using it.  A few years ago, I misplaced the cookbook and did not know what had happened to it.  Believe me, I was one happy gal when the book turned up.

The cookies have always reminded me a bit of Butterfinger candy bars, so some time back I decided to play that up and started sprinkling crushed Butterfinger bars over the top before the dough was baked.  This adds a nice little extra when you bite into a cookie.  I use 2 to 4 regular size Butterfinger bars, depending on my mood.

The cocoa frosting is one of my favorites.  It is easy to make and takes ingredients that I always have on hand.  It is much like the frosting that is on the chocolate bars (like maple bars) that you can get at grocery store bakeries.

The bars are sturdy enough to go well in a lunch box but elegant enough to add to a Christmas cookie tray.

The original recipe used shortening, but I have always used butter with no problem.  If not using unsalted butter, omit the salt.

Butterfinger Peanut Butter Bars
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1/2 c. peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
1.2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 t. vanilla
1 egg
1/4 c. milk
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. soda
1/2 t. salt (omit if not using unsalted butter)
1 c. quick-cooking oats
2 to 4 regular size Butterfinger candy bars, crushed
2 c. sifted confectioner’s sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
3 T. melted butter
1/2 t. vanilla
2 to 3 T. hot water

Cream together butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar until well blended.  Add vanilla, egg and milk; beat well.  Stir together flour, soda and salt.  Add to creamed mixture, mixing just until well blended.  Stir in oats.  Spread dough in a foil-lined and non-stick sprayed 9x13-inch pan.  Sprinkle crushed Butterfinger candy bars evenly over to the top of dough.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Cool in pan on wire rack.  Measure sifted confectioner’s sugar into a small bowl.  Sift cocoa into sugar or put through a sieve with the back of a spoon.  Mix sugar  and cocoa together until well blended.  Combine melted butter, vanilla and 2 T. of the water.  Mix well.  Add to the sugar/cocoa mixture and beat until smooth.  If mixture seems a bit stiff, add an additional tablespoon of hot water.  Spread frosting evenly over the cooled pan of bars.  Let frosting set and cut into bars.  Makes about 36 bars.

 There is still plenty of time to join us and share some of your favorite Christmas Treats.  Just go to this post at Meal Planning Magic to sign up.  To see what other bloggers have created this week, check out the links below.

Show and Share Wednesday
Wow Me Wednesday at Polka Dots on Parade
Whimsy Wednesday
Wow Me Wednesday at Ginger Snap Crafts
Wake Up Wednesday
Cast Party Wednesday
Creative Muster Party
Whatever Goes Wednesday
Show and Share Party
Show Off Your Stuff Party
What I Whipped Up Wednesday
Your Whims Wednesday
Wednesday Whatits
Wonderful Wednesday


4 comments:

  1. Loy! There's NO way possible to go wrong making...and enjoying...these yummy bars. They look mouth-watering! Great job! Thanks so much for sharing. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These would not last long in my house! Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loy I'm pinning this recipe since my husband loves the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, he is the only one in the family who likes that so this batch would be just for him. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Fluster Buster Party, Have a fantastic weekend, Lizy party co host.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, thank you very much for the Peanut Butter Bars recipe. I am searching for Kitchen tray online & suddenly I get you blog. Surly, I am feeling lucky. I am wondering whether I can really make it, but surly I will this next Christmas, hopefully kids will love this.

    Tray & Rack Dispensers

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...