Image Map

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Marshmallow Bars-12 Weeks of Christmas Treats


I seemed to have let the end of September creep up on me so I am a few days late in posting my first recipe for this years 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Brenda from Meal Planning Magic.

This recipe has become a “go-to” recipe for me since I first made it earlier this year.  I saved this to my computer way back in 2000, and it was posted by a Phyllis A. on some email list I subscribed to at that time.  Sometimes you find a recipe that you can use as a base for making several different variations.  This is one of those.  This is also a bar cookie and the butter is melted so that means it is quick and easy.

One note.  Don’t let the name mislead you.  The marshmallows almost completely melt in this cookie, and it will be difficult to tell they were even there.  They add a nice softness to the cookie.

The original recipe called for melted butterscotch chips, chocolate chips and nuts.  I have made these with melted white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, chocolate chips (both semi-sweet and milk chocolate) and cinnamon chips.  I vary the other chips and nuts according to what melted chips I am using.  I have used almonds with the white chocolate chips, peanuts with the peanut butter chips, pecans or walnuts with the chocolate chips, and pecans or cashews with the cinnamon chips.  I have also made these without the nuts.

When I use chips where the package is not quite 12-oz., I use a scant 1 c. of chips for melting. There doesn’t seem to be a difference in the finished recipe
.
If you need a quick and easy recipe for a holiday cookie tray, give these a try.


Marshmallow Bars
scant 1 c. or 1 c. butterscotch, white chocolate, chocolate, or cinnamon chips
1/2 c. butter or margarine (I use butter)
2 large eggs
2/3 c. brown sugar, packed (I use white sugar with white chocolate chips)
1 t. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 c. miniature marshmallows
1 pkg. (11 to 12 oz.) chips of your choice
1/2 c. chopped nuts, preferably toasted

In a microwave safe bowl combine the scant 1 c. or 1 c. selected chips and butter.  Cover and heat in microwave 1 to 2 minutes at 50% power.  Stir.  If not completely melted, heat for another minute at 50% power.  You may also combine the chips and butter in a small saucepan and melt over low heat.  Cool for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar and vanilla.  Beat well.  Add chip/butter mixture and mix to combine.  In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Mix well and add to wet ingredients.  Stir until well blended.  Stir in marshmallows, chips and nuts.  The mixture will be thick.  Spread into a foil-lined 9x13-inch baking pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minute or until bars test done with a toothpick.  Cool and cut into bars.  Makes about 36.  Store in a zip top bag.


Visit Brenda's post here to find the info about joining in this year's 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...